Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  06/ABR/2011 7:56 PM
Assunto:  Cracking a bone, and cracking the knuckles...

Mensagem: 

Spot on, Brunno, you nailed it.

Crack is the non-medical (the commom way to say it), in the medical circles you can

hear fracture, and I am not so sure if splint (maybe it is splinted after having separated

the parts cracked a bone.   I´ll let that to Dale, Marcio (that works/ed in hospitals...) 

You may have a cracked bone, there is, the bone fragments are still joined, I am thinking about a bone in the arm I mean.    There was a buddy of mine that was involved

in a bus accident and he was healthy and fit and helping others all the time. 

At some time, all of sudden his arm bone made a sound "crack" and he fell the pain afterwards, his arm was cracked and asking to break.  What happened with the pressure made when he carried people in using his shoulders and arms.  

My question would be: we can say that it was "splintered''?  I think so, but I am not 100% sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_fracture

Incomplete fracture: A fracture in which the bone fragments are still partially joined. In such cases, there is a crack in the osseous tissue that does not completely traverse the width of the bone.[1]

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/b/bone_fracture.htm
   A bone fracture is a medical condition in which a bone becomes cracked, splintered, or bisected as a result of physical trauma.

Cracking the knuckles in Portuguese is "estalar os dedos", it is commom to find people (mainly in Brazil Northeast) say "estralar os dedos" (sic.) 

Not to confuse to "estalar os dedos para chamar um animal de estimação", to snap.

I had a girlfriend that was real mean and nasty towards me, but if she snapped her fingers I would come in no time. No matter what.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Vocabulary  –  sbl91  06/ABR/2011, 9:42 AM
Vocabulary  –  BrunoGaspar-  06/ABR/2011, 10:45 AM
Vocabulary  –  BrunoGaspar-  06/ABR/2011, 4:19 PM
Vocabulary  –  Dale-USA  06/ABR/2011, 4:57 PM
Vocabulary  –  BrunoGaspar--  06/ABR/2011, 5:10 PM
Vocabulary  –  BrunoGaspar--  06/ABR/2011, 5:14 PM
to crack  –  Dale-USA  06/ABR/2011, 5:27 PM
to crack  –  BrunoGaspar--  06/ABR/2011, 5:39 PM
Frigorífico  –  BrunoGaspar--  06/ABR/2011, 5:49 PM