PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  William Asanome
E-mail:  wasanome@terra.com.br
Data:  08/ABR/2011 11:43 AM
Assunto:  Use of "going to" for future

Mensagem: 

Hi, folks!

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you on the excellent website. It's been a very useful and reliable source of information since I've started teaching English a few months ago.

I´ve recently come across an explanation that sounded odd to me. The explanation was on the use of "going to" for future, and I found it in a English course book for Brazilian students:

" The Immediate Future:

Use the Immediate Future to predict something immediate or something happening in a short time. The prediction is based on what we know, see, or feel while we talk about.

Rule: verb to be + going to + verb"

Some of the given examples were:

"My friends are going to trael in a few days.", My mother is going to prepare me a delicious cake.", and "Technology is going to change everyday life pretty soon."

Having read that and having not found anything similar in English grammar books, I felt extremely confused and decided to google "immediate future". Coincidently or not, all the grammar-related results that came up were from Brazilian websites.

My question: is there such a thing as "the immediate future"  as the course book states? Or is this a "Frankenstein" created and perpetuated by some Brazilian teachers of English?

Regards,

William

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Use of "going to" for future  –  William Asanome  08/ABR/2011, 11:43 AM
Use of "going to" for future  –  ThiagoFloripa  08/ABR/2011, 12:25 PM
Use of "going to" for future  –  Dale-USA  08/ABR/2011, 2:20 PM
Use of "going to" for future  –  William Asanome  08/ABR/2011, 11:01 PM
Use of "going to" for future  –  Jazz  08/ABR/2011, 11:47 PM
Use of "going to" for future  –  William Asanome  09/ABR/2011, 10:26 AM
Use of "going to" for future  –  Dale-USA  09/ABR/2011, 12:50 AM