[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Paul2
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/ABR/2011 9:42 PM
Assunto:  "Twice As Bright"

Mensagem:  The shirts below are probably worn by workers in the Information Technology field. One of the most popular films for this group is "Blade Runner". In this film, a scientist creates artificial humans, similar to clones, who can be worked very hard in mines and factories on alien worlds which send their products back to Earth (in the future, of course). The scientist in the following script explains that by creating humans which are very strong (almost like "supermen" compared to ordinary humans) their bodily metabolism runs very high ("Twice as Bright") but the price for this strenght is that the heightened metabolism causes the body to age very quickly, leading to death in only a few years. Someone wearing the shirt might be trying to say that he is like an artificial human: shining twice as bright but lasting for a shorter time. The metaphor of "burning a candle at both ends" also applies, possibly saying "I may be working myself into an early grave, but I get Twice as much done", or "I enjoy life Twice as much", or I am making more of a "mark" on society than the "average" employee/worker.

Tyrell: [Tyrell explains to Roy why he can't extend his lifespan] The facts of life... to make an alteration in the evolvement of an organic life system is fatal. A coding sequence cannot be revised once it's been established.
Batty: Why not?
Tyrell: Because by the second day of incubation, any cells that have undergone reversion mutation give rise to revertant colonies, like rats leaving a sinking ship; then the ship... sinks.
Batty: What about EMS-3 recombination?
Tyrell: We've already tried it - ethyl, methane, sulfinate as an alkylating agent and potent mutagen; it created a virus so lethal the subject was dead before it even left the table.
Batty: Then a repressor protein, that would block the operating cells.
Tyrell: Wouldn't obstruct replication; but it does give rise to an error in replication, so that the newly formed DNA strand carries with it a mutation - and you've got a virus again... but this, all of this is academic. You were made as well as we could make you.
Batty: But not to last.
Tyrell: The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy. Look at you: you're the Prodigal Son; you're quite a prize!
Batty: I've done... questionable things.
Tyrell: Also extraordinary things; revel in your time.
Batty: Nothing the God of biomechanics wouldn't let you into heaven for.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
"Twice As Bright"  –  miltonhw  17/ABR/2011, 10:53 PM
"Twice As Bright"  –  Dale-USA  18/ABR/2011, 12:01 AM
"Twice As Bright"  –  PPAULO  18/ABR/2011, 1:25 AM
"Twice As Bright"  –  PPAULO  18/ABR/2011, 1:50 AM
"Twice As Bright"  –  miltonhw  18/ABR/2011, 10:29 PM
"Twice As Bright"  –  Dale-USA  18/ABR/2011, 10:36 PM
"Twice As Bright"  –  PPAULO  19/ABR/2011, 1:51 AM
"Twice As Bright"  –  Paul2  24/ABR/2011, 9:20 PM
 "Twice As Bright"  –  Paul2  24/ABR/2011, 9:42 PM