Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  05/MAI/2011 9:52 PM
Assunto:  Approve (of)

Mensagem: 

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/approve
approve
v.tr.
1. To consider right or good; think or speak favorably of.
2. To consent to officially or formally; confirm or sanction: The Senate approved the treaty.

“Approve” may be in the sense of (1) and (2),  ( sendo [2], autorização, permissão, aprovação.)

“Approve of’” is mostly used in the sense of (1) that is, “aceitação”,”aprovação”, “opinião favorável”.

Approve, is mostly in the sense of endorsement, sanctioning, certifying, accrediting, ratifying.
Approve means to consider right or good, but it can also denote official consent.
These verbs mean to express a favorable opinion or to signify satisfaction or acceptance.
In this sense it usually implies official authorization by somebody, or by some authority etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/youmeus/learnit/learnitv26.shtml
Answer [With slight alterations of mine]

The meaning of approve changes when you add the preposition of to make approve of. Approve'by itself means 'sanction' or 'endorse' as in these two examples.

In the first, an accountant is speaking and in the second, a university admissions tutor.
• 'I cannot approve the reimbursement because you haven't given me the receipts for your expenditure.'
• 'I cannot approve your application to study law because you do not have the relevant qualifications.'

If you approve of something, then you consider it to be good or you agree with it.
Consider:
• 'I don't approve of smoking in restaurants because it is so upsetting usually for non-smokers.'
• 'Why don't you approve of my friends? They are all good upright people.'

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Now to get the idea, in Portuguese (APPROVE OF)  =>

•'Why don't you approve of my friends? They are all good upright people.'
      Por que a Sra. /o Sr./você não aceita os meus amigos? Todos eles são boas pessoas/gente boa.

• 'I don't approve of smoking in restaurants because it is so upsetting usually for non-smokers.'
     -Não concordo com  o fumo em restaurantes porque isso é usualmente/geralmente muito irritante/aborrecedor  para não fumantes.
     -Não aceito o fumo em restaurantes porque isso é usualmente/geralmente muito irritante/aborrecedor  para não fumantes.

-Não acho bom que fumem  em restaurantes porque isso é usualmente/geralmente muito irritante/aborrecedor  para não fumantes.

•A new poll suggests California voters approve of the job that Gov. Jerry Brown is doing by a 2-to-1 margin – albeit with many undecided.
     Uma nova pesquisa de opinião sugere que os eleitores apoiam o trabalho que o Gov. Jerry Brown está fazendo (ou tem uma opinião favorável do trabalho do Gov. Jerry Brown)...

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Approve (of)  –  Denis.  05/MAI/2011, 5:48 PM
Approve (of)  –  Fran  05/MAI/2011, 8:06 PM
Approve (of)  –  Denis..  05/MAI/2011, 9:46 PM
 Approve (of)  –  PPAULO  05/MAI/2011, 9:52 PM
Approve (of)  –  PPAULO  05/MAI/2011, 10:02 PM
Approve (of)  –  orlando  05/MAI/2011, 10:58 PM
Approve (of)  –  PPAULO  09/MAI/2011, 7:35 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K