Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  25/MAI/2011 11:23 AM
Assunto:  A tecnologia está nos deixando mais burros?

Mensagem: 

It´s not that the gadgets, Internet, cars, technology are making us dunces,

it´s that too much of them (depending on them too much, or using them too much instead of personal experiences...)

Much was said about the use of calculators some time ago, it would make

people´s mind lazy etc, anyway business people use to this day.

Indeed, problem is we lack limits and we let our children lack them too.

For example, we buy computers with supposedly to back them up in the process of studying, soon they install the programs the please.   Then they are going there to

get on-line in Orkut, MySpace, MSN and web groups, it´s their fault? no! it´s the unsupervised use of computers, gadgets and any technology fault.

This sometimes even weans the liking for study! so what would be to incentive and let them more ready to life it´s what makes them dumb and dull!

This sometimes makes them to ask their parents for brand clothes and products, and as it a site stated "spending a lot of time on-line is not the problem (although it can be), rather it is how that time spent impacts your life that determines the seriousness of the problem."

NUMBERS

http://www.mylifechange.com.au/article/lifestyle-family/technology/2585-forgetting-phone-numbers/
     More than 50% of people suffer from "numerical amnesia"

More than 67% of respondents to a survey admitted to anxiety about the possible loss of numbers and other details stored on their handsets. A mere 18% ever get round to storing them on a home or work computer. And what about simply writing them down somewhere? Too much like hard work.

ATTENTION, OR LACK OF IT...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_addiction_disorder
Internet addiction disorder (IAD), or, more broadly, Internet overuse, problematic computer use or pathological computer use, is excessive computer use that interferes with daily life.[1] These terms avoid the distracting and divisive term addiction and are not limited to any single cause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_addiction
Computer addiction is a loosely used term for the excessive use of computers to the extent that it interferes with daily life.

http://jojimo.com/1/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Technology-which-Supports-Forgetting-Personal-Information-Online.pdf

Bos (1995) provides harrowing insight, that dependence on technology which focuses on remembering needs to be questioned because “We may end up incapable of communicating with other people when the device is out of order” (Bos, 1995, p. 14).

About the woman cited in the item, what about she was busy as a bee? what about she was juggling plenty of tasks? what about her emotional state? what about too much information? sometimes you are so focused into something that you get

alienated.  Well, not everything is to blame technology, I think.

Numerical amnesia may be due to the lack of use of our Math skills, I do have seen sellers that  don´t know how to calculate changes accuratelly, they have to use a calculator...

Again, the problem is not the use of a tool, but depending on it too much! sometime I saw in  a board that a certain number multiplyed for another in the Excel would have the wrong answer, I did it in the Excell and then in the calculator, the people was right! since then, I am not so confident in programs but then I had not to make it with my pencil and paper, I used a calculator.

So, the name of the game is balance and commom sense, today not that commom!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
A tecnologia está nos deixando mais burros?  –  Orlando  23/MAI/2011, 11:29 AM
A tecnologia está nos deixando mais burros?  –  Dale-USA  23/MAI/2011, 12:43 PM
A tecnologia está nos deixando mais burros?  –  Oi  23/MAI/2011, 4:03 PM
A tecnologia está nos deixando mais burros?  –  BrunoGaspar  23/MAI/2011, 9:26 PM
A tecnologia está nos deixando mais burros?  –  Fran  24/MAI/2011, 7:03 AM
 A tecnologia está nos deixando mais burros?  –  PPAULO  25/MAI/2011, 11:23 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K