PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  03/JUN/2011 9:06 PM
Assunto:  I had listened

Mensagem: 

Ah, now it´s clear!

Problem was not in Natileite or The Carpernters themselves, knowing that was their Lyrics now, I got these in lyrics´ sites:

THE CARPENTERS "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE" Lyrics
When I was young / I'd listen to the radio / Waitin' for my favorite songs / When they played I'd sing along / It made me smile ...
www.mp3lyrics.org › (Ca-e...) Lyrics › The Carpenters Lyrics - Cached - Similar- Block all www.mp3lyrics.org results

Yesterday Once More Lyrics - Carpenters
Yesterday Once More Lyrics - When I was young I'd listened to the radio Waitin' for my favorite songs When they played I'd sing...
www.lyricsfreak.com/.../carpenters/yesterday+once+more_20027553.html - Cached - Similar

YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (REPRISE) LYRICS - THE CARPENTERS
When I was young / I'd listen to the radio / (So fine, so fine) / When I was young / I'd listen to the radio / (So fine, so fine) / When I was young ...
www.songlyrics.com › Artists - T › The Carpenters Lyrics - Cached

CARPENTERS YESTERDAY ONE MORE LYRICS
CARPENTERS YESTERDAY ONE MORE LYRICS. When I was young. I'd listened to the radio. Waitin' for my favorite songs. When they played I'd sing along ...
www.gugalyrics.com/CARPENTERS...ONE...LYRICS/333128/ - Cached

Maybe there is an explanation to that one, it´s because the listener tought it was a "silent" verb, one that gets ED in the end but it sounds like the verb in pure form (aka bare infinitive.)   So, more than one got the lyrics wrong.

+++++++++++++++++

As Orlando pointed out, in the case:

"If I had listened to the radio when I was young I would have listened to that song too."    (Se eu tivesse escutado o rádio quando eu era jovem, teria escutado essa música também.)

It would have the HAD because there two actions happened (two verbs), whereas in

"When I was young I used to listen radio.", it wouldn´t because there is only one verb.

The use of  I´d  was another contributing factor to think that HAD was in the sentence...it wasn´t.       "I´d"  meant "I WOULD".

Obrigado, Orlando.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
I had listened  –  natileiti  02/JUN/2011, 6:35 PM
I had listened  –  PPAULO  02/JUN/2011, 7:01 PM
I had listened  –  Josi  02/JUN/2011, 7:02 PM
I had listened  –  Dale-USA  02/JUN/2011, 8:37 PM
I had listened  –  Fran  03/JUN/2011, 1:07 AM
I had listened  –  PPAULO  03/JUN/2011, 1:29 AM
I had listened  –  Orlando  03/JUN/2011, 4:06 PM
I had listened  –  natileiti  03/JUN/2011, 5:35 PM