LINGUISTICS & CULTURE
|Data:||30/MAR/2012 3:13 PM|
1. Phoebe says: "If I let go of my hair, my head will fall off", meaning "Se eu soltar meus cabelos, minha cabeça vai cair". But I can't understand why she says "I let go OF my hair".
soltar = to let go of
2. Monica says: "I'll be right back, I just gonna go...ahn...". Ross says: "A-wandering?". What does it mean? (On DVD subtitles it's translated as: "Uma viagem?", on internet subtitles: "Pensar na vida?").
a wandering = vagar, viajar sem destino
3. Ross says: "Aruba, this time of year... talk about your... big lizards". Why does he say "talk about your"?
This is a colloquial way to introduce a new subject.
How was the beach?
Talk about hot. The sun almost roasted me alive.
4. Rachel says: "I was in the room where we were keeping all the presents, and I was looking at this gravy boat". Why here does she use "this" instead of "that"? (The gravy boat is not in her hands or in the place they are).
I went to an auto expo where I saw this car...
I dated an Austrian. This girl was a fantastic cook and she was a wonderful dancer.
Yes, it sounds strange to non-native ears, but it's common.
5. Ross says: "Even if I get it together to ask a woman out, who am I gonna ask?". What does "get it together" mean?
Put my life in order.
Do the right thing.
Stop being stupid and incompetent.
Control myself (my feelings, my emotions).
Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens