[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  B Bullydog!!
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  10/MAI/2004 12:15 AM
Assunto:  Re: FACT OF THE century: Portuguese is

Mensagem:  depends what you mean by hard...... if having a whole lot of useless and obscure distinctions and technical details which serve no purpose (agreement singular/plural, masculine/feminine, verb forms for each person and tense) is your idea of hard than you may be right - probably most port. speakers can't even speak their language correctly many people would say that in fact these unnecessary and obsolete technical details merely reflect the 'primitive' and undeveloped nature of the language (i've heard it said) of course many people are filled with enormous pride when they see how many useless and archane distinctions their language contains and they assume that native speakers must have a higher IQ as a result of the obfuscatory structures in their language - but i suggest that portuguese and brazilian history over the last 500 years would tend to contradict any such conclusion (just kidding!!) i think that when children learn any language they experience the same degree of difficulty because all human languages are essentially the same with minor variations (see N Chomsky) perhaps you might also consider: - that english vocab is far greater than port (because we are not hampered by the structural limits that restrict your language and so can adopt and expand with great ease), - that english is in fact two separate languages (with great variation between written and spoken forms - unlike yours), - that spoken english also has a wider range of sounds than yours i concede that the nasal sound you use does introduce a degree of difficulty which english speakers can't quite get their noses around! as you can now see not only is english more important but also more difficult

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
FACT OF THE DAY: Portuguese is harder than English  –  Camacho  09/MAI/2004, 1:26 AM
Re: FACT OF THE century: Portuguese is  –  British Bulldog  09/MAI/2004, 8:32 PM
Re: FACT OF THE century: Portuguese is  –  Camacho  09/MAI/2004, 9:14 PM
 Re: FACT OF THE century: Portuguese is  –  B Bullydog!!  10/MAI/2004, 12:15 AM
Re: FACT OF THE century: Portuguese is  –  Camacho  10/MAI/2004, 1:39 AM
Para camacho  –  Lucas  11/MAI/2004, 3:24 AM
Re: FACT OF THE century: Portuguese is  –  Camacho  10/MAI/2004, 1:55 AM
Re: FACT OF THE century: Portuguese is  –  B B'dog  10/MAI/2004, 7:52 PM
Re: FACT OF THE century: Portuguese is  –  John Bull  20/MAI/2004, 2:19 AM
Re: FACT OF THE DAY: Portuguese is harder than ...  –  Julinho  10/MAI/2004, 2:10 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K