[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  16/MAI/2004 9:32 AM
Assunto:  Re: cracker/ I love you!

Mensagem:  Hey Miguel, o que passa? Well, as I said there are no New England 'crackers' so far as I'm concerned. We can talk about northern 'rednecks' vs southern, if you like. See, the thing is that the way some non-whites use the term cracker is entirely to make a racial distinction, whereas the real meaning of 'cracker' is much more than that - it covers a complete cultural context. It includes such things as architecture, farming practices, literature, cuisine, etc. It is true that 'crackers' are white, but only a particular subset of whites, and only in a particular region. The traditional ruling white class of the south, for instance, were not crackers; northerners of any description living in the south cannot be crackers. Myself for instance - being raised in a household that had given up it's native 'cracker' dialect in exchange for the 'mainstream' middle-american dialect - am not accepted as a cracker even though my grandparents were crackers. That is basically how it works - just as with membership in any sub-culture - one must speak the native dialect and be recognized as from the region. It certainly isn't a simple matter of skin tone.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
cracker/ I love you!  –  val  13/MAI/2004, 4:20 PM
Re: cracker/ I love you!  –  Miguel Vieira  13/MAI/2004, 5:07 PM
Re: cracker/ I love you!  –  pat  15/MAI/2004, 5:14 PM
Re: cracker/ I love you!  –  Miguel Vieira  15/MAI/2004, 9:07 PM
 Re: cracker/ I love you!  –  pat  16/MAI/2004, 9:32 AM
Re: cracker/ I love you!  –  Miguel Vieira  16/MAI/2004, 7:02 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K