Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  20/MAI/2004 4:37 PM
Assunto:  Re: To the experts, S.O.S. please!

Mensagem:  First let's take care of this sentence: I've also seen in some articles: "Does this sound too good to be true? It is!" meaning that in such case the Ad was misleading. Suppose someone you never saw before in your life offers you a million dollars. Does it seem plausible? Does it seem like a real thing? Or, would you start asking "What do I have to do for the money?" The offer just seems too good to be true, there is a catch somewhere, something that you will have to do/pay/repay to actually get the money. So, it sounds too good to be true. Then when the Ad says: "Does this sound too good to be true? It's not!" They are saying it's plausible, that you can trust them, that it's a good thing and it's just the opposite of what you hear when something is too good to be true. Make sense? I would not trust the Ad in question. After all, people who make up the ads are selling a product. They usually don't want anything but your money. This applies to other things besides commercials and ad for products. Suppose a person with a really bad drinking problem says "I'm never going to drink again." but they also let you know they are not going to counseling and are not going to join a support program. Does what they are saying sound too good to be true? You betcha!! You hear both expressions frequently. I bet if a Braziian was saying "Does this sound too good to be true? It's not!" he or she would, a the same time, be smiling and pulling down the top of their cheek under the right eye!!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To the experts, S.O.S. please!  –  Francielle Marins  20/MAI/2004, 12:33 PM
 Re: To the experts, S.O.S. please!  –  Tom  20/MAI/2004, 4:37 PM
to TOM Re: To the experts, S.O.S. please!  –  Francile Marins  20/MAI/2004, 7:50 PM
Re: to TOM Re: To the experts, S.O.S. please!  –  Tom  21/MAI/2004, 9:08 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K