[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  mrob
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  08/JUN/2004 3:04 AM
Assunto:  Re: either...or

Mensagem:  in my humble opinion i think it is a case of 'free choice' ie both (either) of the alternatives seem fine to me - or at least neither is wrong the english language is notoriously murky on these points and despite the best efforts of grammarians to create the illusion of a comprehensive set of rules with a satisfactory answer to every finicky query, it is just not the case - the language is a vast untamed morass - a veritable jungle of confusion (except for verb structure:-) i may have missed some fine distinction in your original post but when i read the alternatives it was my distinctive and natural impression that you could use either X or Y with no negative impact upon the communication of meaning (or the adherence to grammatical principles) i was curious what the native speaker posts were about - but i couldn't read either this one or that one ... or should that be I could read neither of them (please post a clarification of this point in Brazilian) hopefully the posters undoubtedly superior knowledge of Brazilian grammar will enable then to illuminate this particular conundrum

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
either...or  –  Ana  07/JUN/2004, 11:15 AM
Re: either...or  –  Dirceu  07/JUN/2004, 12:58 PM
Re: either...or  –  Ana  07/JUN/2004, 1:19 PM
Re: either...or  –  orlando  07/JUN/2004, 4:04 PM
Re: either...or  –  rose  07/JUN/2004, 11:26 PM
 Re: either...or  –  mrob  08/JUN/2004, 3:04 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K