[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  09/FEV/2003 1:17 AM
Assunto:  Re: Answer to Ana Maria

Mensagem:  You're the one who's actually plain wrong-as usual-with your intellectually lazy arguments. The statement on your first paragraph is definetely not true. Maybe, in Brazil racial identity is determined by appearance and speech, not in the United States. A clear example is the numerous amount of educated African-Americans with no "obvious" negroid features who openly and comfortably identify themselves as BLACK. What do you have to say about that? The fact is that the "One drop rule" was and still is very much a part of the southern way of life. The only difference is that it is more subtle these days. I have scholarly research on my side. In fact, as numerous historical data show, as recent as 1968, southern "Whites" who were found to have African ancestors were brutally ostracized from the "white world". At times, they were even murdered. This is all backed up by historical data. Furthermore, "HISPANIC", as I said before, is not a racial term. It is a Linguistic/Cultural term. Anyone can be "Hispanic", BLACK, WHITE or ASIAN.[Check the 2000 US Census.] It does not apply to Brazilians, since Brazil was never a colony of Spain, nor is its official language Spanish. Brazilians for the most part would be classified as BLACK under JIM CROW guidelines. And no, these subjects don't bother me, they actually raise my interest. Believe me, my interests are very well-rounded I've never lived long-term (but I've travelled there many times) in the south but I've taken numerous classes in college that focus on its racial identity politics. So, shall we say, I have an academic perspective. You may have lived there, but I doubt you have the depth of the academic perspective I have, so we're even. -Miguel Vieira

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 6:59 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 7:50 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 8:13 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 9:12 PM
 Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 1:17 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Ana Maria  09/FEV/2003, 1:29 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  09/FEV/2003, 9:40 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  José Roberto  09/FEV/2003, 2:51 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 5:01 PM