[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  09/FEV/2003 9:40 AM
Assunto:  Re: Answer to Ana Maria

Mensagem:  Ana Maria, "Salad bar" is a good description. The ethnic groups in general are still quite distinct in America. Miguel, it is your original assertion that most Brazilians would be considered "black" that I disagree with. I know for a fact that it isn't so, in the north or south. There is a large Brazilian population where I live, (the majority are Mineiros and Sao Pauloans), and scarcely any appear "black" to the Americans there; they appear identical to what many Americans have come to think of as looking "Hispanic". I keep telling you that I know what the correct meaning of Hispanic is, I agree with you on that. I also keep telling you that most Americans (non-hispanic) also use the term for a certain ethnicity. In the Hispanic countries it is called Mestizo, and many Brazilians that I have seen have that physical appearance. However, I am sure you continue to quibble didactically and refuse to understand me. As far as the "black" and "white" situation in the US, people who have both ancestries, and do not appear very "black", are left to choose which group to take identity with. It seems in general that they choose to be "black". I should tell you, Miguel, in case you are concerned about it, that I do not think it is better to be "white" than to be "black". It is just an unfortunate reality that there still exists strong differences in American society based on physical appearance.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 6:59 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 7:50 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 8:13 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 9:12 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 1:17 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Ana Maria  09/FEV/2003, 1:29 AM
 Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  09/FEV/2003, 9:40 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  José Roberto  09/FEV/2003, 2:51 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 5:01 PM