[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  09/FEV/2003 2:51 PM
Assunto:  Re: Answer to Ana Maria

Mensagem:  Hello people What I may add to this discussion is some studies from Anthropologians (antropólogos-- Have I written correctly in English?)which point out that virtually there is no-one totally white (pure white-no mixed with Africans or Amerindians since theirs foreparents came from Europe) or pure black, maybe there are very few Indians and Germans/Polacos/Italians who came from their respectives countries and created small comunities (mainly in the Southern region of Brazil) and they live as they were in Europe.. much of them don't speak Portuguese at all, but this is a very small part of the population. According to some studies the second most spoken language in Brazil is Japanese (about 300.000 speakers, English is learned and taught but is not used within communities as Japanese) but I don't know if there are some exclusively Japanese communities inside Brazil. There are two good books about what we (Brazilians) are -- Casa Grande e Senzala (which samefully the author's name escapes me right now) and O Povo Brasileiro, by Darcy Ribeiro. In fact, as far as race is concerned, Anthropologians, Sociologists, Geographers and any Human scient will never agree in one specific term about what is a race, for me, it's better call the people here just Brazilians, knowing that this term is very poor and yet express our history and the relations between Portugueses, Africans and Indians (and after, Germans, Japaneses, more African; mainly from former Portuguese colonies, Italians, Spaniards...and even a few North-American who came to a city about 40 km from mine, called Americana). José Roberto

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 6:59 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 7:50 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 8:13 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 9:12 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 1:17 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Ana Maria  09/FEV/2003, 1:29 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  09/FEV/2003, 9:40 AM
 Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  José Roberto  09/FEV/2003, 2:51 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 5:01 PM