[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  09/FEV/2003 6:06 PM
Assunto:  Re: Answer to Ana Maria

Mensagem:  You say they are "classified" - that is, that some other party is doing the classifying; I say they "classify" themselves as black. I think that is the crucial point at debate here. It is true that some Americans will classify others racially if they are aware of mixed ancestry, but it isn't nearly as common as it used to be. What I can tell you for sure is that I live in a place in the north where many "white" Americans live in a small area with many Brazilians, and I'm quite sure nobody considers them as "black", because with a few exceptions they don't look anything like typical black Americans; however, they also don't consider them as "white" - they are viewed as a Latino or Hispanic category, regardless of what those words properly should mean. In fact, most of the locals think they speak Spanish, so it isn't surprising. You are wrong again on the last guess, I grew up in Florida in very ethnically diverse areas. I had plenty of interaction in school and work with: native southern blacks Haitian blacks English and Spanish-speaking Hispanics native southern Anglos (known as "crackers") northern transplanted Anglos (known as "yankees" or "canucks") Miguel, what I think about you is that you are clever but arrogant, you are good at learning languages but have a very simplistic and didactic view of culture and social relations. I think you have a poorly concealed agenda regarding your presence here, which is to make innuendo about Americans and America - about which you know surprisingly little - and make jibes at educated middle-class Brazilians. Why don't you just get over it and accept people and circumstances for what they really are instead of distorting them to fit your ill-conceived social crusade?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 6:59 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 7:50 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 8:13 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 9:12 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 1:17 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Ana Maria  09/FEV/2003, 1:29 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  09/FEV/2003, 9:40 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  José Roberto  09/FEV/2003, 2:51 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 5:01 PM