[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  09/FEV/2003 6:25 PM
Assunto:  Re: Answer to Ana Maria

Mensagem:  Dear Miguel Vieira I said: "In fact, as far as race is concerned, Anthropologians, Sociologists, Geographers and any Human scient will never agree in one specific term about what is a race, for me, it's better call the people here just Brazilians, knowing that this term is very poor and yet express our history and the relations between Portugueses, Africans and Indians (and after, Germans, Japaneses, more African; mainly from former Portuguese colonies,Italians, Spaniards...and even a few North-American who came to a city about 40 km from mine, called Americana)." So I don't need to understand anything because if you have read what I told is "race is difficul to determinate" and "it's been trying to be definete by a number of scholars" And as a Geographer if it's not statemented by someone who really studies the issue (which can and must be confrontated against other studies) for me the rest is COMMOM SENSE, What I exactly told is: race is too subjective to be determinate. I can consider myself something, let's say white, and yet I know that I have Indian, Spanish, Italian and African descedent, so what I am? I don't give a damn for what Americans or Europeans think about (if Ana is White here, so she is a Brazilian White, for our census ask us about it and they do not consider "mestiço" someone which bears euro-white's characteristics), I know I am BRAZILIAN, and at least for me I don't know how American society is as I know the society which I live, and it was about that society I wrote if you didn't realise. You lose such great opportunities of a health exchange of knowledge in discussions because of your somehow arrogant style, as you were a doctor on American's culture and people, sometimes being more humble is good! José Roberto.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 6:59 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 7:50 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 8:13 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 9:12 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 1:17 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Ana Maria  09/FEV/2003, 1:29 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  09/FEV/2003, 9:40 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  José Roberto  09/FEV/2003, 2:51 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 5:01 PM