[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  10/FEV/2003 2:58 PM
Assunto:  Re: Answer to Ana Maria

Mensagem:  First of all Pat I implore you not to take things personally. I don't even know you; how could I have possibly known that you are "White" or racist? How? And no, I don't think most European-Americans are racist. You see, I understand the phenomenon of racism more in-depth than you think. Racism is a rather modern concept. [Intellectually lazy is another way of saying, "un-schoolarly"] As for the "Anglo" argument, I just wanted to provoke you into seeing that the term "Anglo" is exclussive and inaccurate(The term ANGLO only applies to White Americans whose ancestors came from England-that's it.) For instace, think about the following "white european countries": France, Sweden, Holand, Italy, Greece, Russia, Ireland, Bulgaria, et cetera. There are millions and millions of "White Americans" whose ancestors came from these countries, and wouldn't it be unfair to classify them solely as "Anglos"? That's all I wished to accomplish--thought-provoke you. NO HARD FEELINGS INTENDED -Miguel Vieira P.S. Here is a statistic for you: Out of all the countries of Black Africa, only one country, Nigeria, outnumbers Brazil in the number of its Black Citizens even by African standards. There are close to 90 million people in Brazil who would be classified by anyone as "typical Blacks". In fact, before the "mass immigration", Brazil was about 90% BLACK/AFRICAN. Furthermore, I agree that most Brazilians who accomplish the close to impossible American Visa are indeed "Mestizo". When, I said "Most Brazilians" I meant Brazilians in Brazil. Think about it, what is 90 million out of 170 million? Think about it!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 6:59 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 7:50 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  08/FEV/2003, 8:13 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  08/FEV/2003, 9:12 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 1:17 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Ana Maria  09/FEV/2003, 1:29 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  pat  09/FEV/2003, 9:40 AM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  José Roberto  09/FEV/2003, 2:51 PM
Re: Answer to Ana Maria  –  Miguel Vieira  09/FEV/2003, 5:01 PM