[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  11/FEV/2003 6:27 PM
Assunto:  Clarification

Mensagem:  Dear fellow members of this forum, Please read the following message carefully! As you know Pat and I did go through a battle regarding the complex issues of Identity and Race in America. Well, I just wanted to clarify a few things. First of all, I would like you all to know that the messages I have posted only reflect the way I personally interpret the politics of Race and Indentity in America. This is all it is, a POLITICAL ISSUE; that's all the concept of race is in America. It does not have a 100% scientific back-up. As a matter of fact, as some of you may know, some American ethinic groups who were not previously classified as "white", now are. Why? They have lobbyed themselves into the "white cattegory". Some of these groups include the Italian-Americans, the Irish-Americans and the Jewish People(Previously refered to as SEMITES). And by the way, most of the members of these groups have pale complexions and features that are as caucasoid as they get, yet they were totally excluded from the "White category". In fact, I can assure you that if you were to go back just 4 decades in the history of American racial categories, you would learn that they were classified differently. For instance, whenever Politicias and Public persons talked about racial issues, back then, they would always, say, for instance, "Colored" "White" "Italian", "Irish", "Jewish", et cetera. Even worse, at one time, whenever "white" employers advertised for work, the advertisement would usually say "Colored, Irish, Italian and Semites need not apply, we only hire 'white people'" Now, fast-foward 4 decades later, what happened? They are now all classified as "white" by the Power structure. This is just to show you that the very term itself is a socially/politically constructed concept. This is pretty much all that I wanted to point out Cheers to you all, -Miguel Vieira P.S. Back then African-Americans were termed "Colored". Prior to that, NEGRO was the term used. It is outdated now. With the coming of the /Black Power movement/ the Term BLACK became the universal term. And lastly, in the late 70's college students began refering themselves as AFRICAN-AMERICANS. To this day, it is the term most preferred by College Educated American Blacks.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Clarification  –  Miguel Vieira  11/FEV/2003, 6:27 PM
Re: Clarification  –  José Roberto  11/FEV/2003, 7:33 PM
Re: Clarification  –  Jonas  11/FEV/2003, 8:49 PM
Re: Clarification  –  pat  11/FEV/2003, 9:26 PM
Re: Clarification  –  Miguel Vieira  12/FEV/2003, 3:44 PM
Re: Clarification  –  pat  12/FEV/2003, 9:25 PM
Re: Clarification  –  Miguel Vieira  12/FEV/2003, 9:53 PM
Re: Clarification  –  pat  12/FEV/2003, 11:20 PM
Re: Clarification  –  Miguel Vieira  13/FEV/2003, 3:14 PM