[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  16/FEV/2003 11:46 PM
Assunto:  Re: Clarification

Mensagem:  Hello Pat "Guerra do Paraguai" took place between 1864 till 1870, during Brazil's second empire, D. Pedro II's empire. It was the most violent conflit that occured in South America. Related to our independence: in 1808 Portugal's king D. João VI and the royal family fled from Portugal, motif: Napoleon Bonaparte was threatening to invade Portugal in case it didn't join the other European's countries on the embargo against England, but if Portugal did take part in the embargo, England would automatically invade Brazil (Portugal's colony so far), so the King transfered the goverment aparatus here and elevated Brazil's condition to Vice-Kingdom, so it was a natural step to independence. Portugal's people conclamed D. João VI to return but, he left his son (D. Pedro I - the fist emperor) to stay here and do the independece, so our "independence" was a gift from father to son (and as I imagine, was it a frustated plan to return Brazil as a colony to Portugal, but it went wrong because as D. João VI, D. Pedro I had to assume Portuguese's throne and left the country to his son, D. Pedro II in 1834 if I am not mistaken, but D. Pedro II was only a child and then it took pklace in here the period were the separatist movements arose-- the "período regencial"). Now one could tell me, like in Africa where people fought for independence, like the US, like the other South America contries... Would Brazil be more awere or more patriotic if we did (we- the people not the royal family or an elite) fight for our freedom? Historians point out that Brazil as one country would not exist, for what made this whole big country together was the royal symbol, one can very this looking at the período regencial where happened the major and most separatist movements here it just calmed down a little in 1840 when D. Pedro II was enthroned (it was a kind of coup-d'etat because he had to be 18 to be enthroned, but in fact he was 16). Até a próxima, caro amigo. José Roberto. So Brazil was aggressive towards the nieghboring countries for some time even after it's independence from Portugal? I didn't know that. And of course the Brazilians treated the Indios quite badly, just as the Americans did. It is quite remarkable that no war with Portugal ever occured; I don't know if any other major colony has achieved independence without a war. Actually, India did - thanks to Ghandi. I suppose one could say the same for Canada and Australia, but they are technically still colonies - they allowed England to "save face".

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Clarification  –  Miguel Vieira  11/FEV/2003, 6:27 PM
Re: Clarification  –  José Roberto  11/FEV/2003, 7:33 PM
Re: Clarification  –  Jonas  11/FEV/2003, 8:49 PM
Re: Clarification  –  pat  11/FEV/2003, 9:26 PM
Re: Clarification  –  Miguel Vieira  12/FEV/2003, 3:44 PM
Re: Clarification  –  pat  12/FEV/2003, 9:25 PM
Re: Clarification  –  Miguel Vieira  12/FEV/2003, 9:53 PM
Re: Clarification  –  pat  12/FEV/2003, 11:20 PM
Re: Clarification  –  Miguel Vieira  13/FEV/2003, 3:14 PM