[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Johannes
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  21/SET/2004 11:44 AM
Assunto:  natural method

Mensagem:  I had an extra ordinary brainwave. This is extra ordinary in itself . I normally only have ordinary brainwaves , like when I am thirsty and make for the fridge to fetch a cold beer or like when holding my breath, I decide inhaling again. As far as waves are concerned most of my waving is done waving down a bus and once on the bus I wave to those who came running but missed it but I also wave to elderly people, babies in a pram and Muslim girls with a headscarf. This particular brainwave is related to language acquisition. I hit on something so obvious that it must be the reason no-one thought of it before ( as far as I know). A lot is said and written about language learning to be accomplished in the most efficient way but the most natural method for transferring the ability to learn to speak seems forever overlooked. It is generally accepted that human babies have an innate capacity to acquire language but if a child isn’t exposed to language until the age of 6, it will apparently never learn how to speak. If the proper brain cells aren’t stimulated until that age they become dead weight and the human in question will remain dumb for the rest of his life. It is therefore vital this stimulation takes place within the appropriate time and for it to happen, “role models” need to be around. These role models who facilitate the acquisition of language learning for the baby normally come in the form of the mother or the caretaker(s) of the child. They maybe highly schooled or completely analphabetic but they all can do the job. Why? Because it is also an innate ability. Not only are we born with the ability to learn, we are also born with the ability to transfer speech capability to others. It takes “two to tango” especially with language learning. It is easy to observe how this “ innate transfer ability” manifests itself. Suppose we hear a mother in a closed room saying things. Although we can’t see who is in there with her, we will be able to tell whether she is talking to an adult or her baby. And how do we know? Because when she talks to the baby she uses her “innate language transfer skills” which we all recognize and in which way we all can speak ourselves. It is called “baby language”. I believe that brain cells for language learning are only stimulated into speech acquisition if spoken to in that language. A baby may be around adults, speaking to themselves and the baby may be paying no attention. The very moment there is a switch from adult language to “baby language” , the baby will look up and want to find out what is going on. The baby brain is pre-programmed to listen to and to absorb language spoken in a way appropriate for babies. If we want the baby’s attention we don’t speak to him / her like we are newsreaders or praying a Holy Mary. We “non babies “ are biologically pre-programmed to talk baby language in order to set the speech acquisition program in motion. If our human brain is stimulated to acquire speech if spoken to in a special way, why isn’t this kind of language used by second language teachers? I hear you say “ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous”. Is it? Why is it that the best way to learn another language is on the pillow? Doesn’t lovey-dovey talk resemble baby talk? What is baby talk exactly? It is only intonation, repetition and face expression. Imagine yourself talking for a while to the cutest baby you ever saw. Now think back, did you say it stone faced, was your voice monotonous ( = mono- tone) , did you say the same thing only once? Not if you are a normal human being. Therefore I propose a total restructuring of all existent Language Courses in such a manner that the way teachers express themselves should rouse the (dormant) language acquisition brain cells in their students. The teachers' voice and facial expressions should resemble the speech and adoring looks of a mother with a baby in her arms. Johannes

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 natural method  –  Johannes  21/SET/2004, 11:44 AM
Re: natural method  –  Amadeu  21/SET/2004, 11:58 AM
Re: natural method  –  Zeca  21/SET/2004, 12:53 PM
Re: natural method  –  Maria Valeska  22/SET/2004, 10:03 AM
Re: natural method  –  Mr. Kinners  22/SET/2004, 1:29 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K