[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/FEV/2003 7:10 PM
Assunto:  Re: To Pat or Miguel

Mensagem:  MIguel, So you are on winter break in Florida? Me too. About your assertion that all the well known "racial" terms were created in the southeast, it is unlikely that you have any way to substantiate that. Most ethnic terms were imported into this country with the various immigrants. The "N" word, as you know very well, is the rustic american pronounciation of the Spanish word "negro". You will find it is the only racial slur created in the South that you can document. I'm quite sure that slang words like "spic", "dago", "mick", "heeb", etc were coined in northern cities during the huge immigrations of Irish, Italian, Jewish, and later on Hispanics. I think your knowledge of American history is very sparse; Ethnic terms tend to originate or arrive with the immigrants directly where they enter. Since the 1600's the vast majority (including the black slaves) have entered through the main northeastern ports of Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore. The Chinese and Japanese mostly through the western ports. A very tiny percentage of immigrants ever came through the southern ports. What is the reason for your wish to believe that racism was confined to the south? You should do more study on the Civil War era and learn about the virulent racism that existed in the north before and after. After the banishment of slavery in the northern states most of them passed laws preventing blacks from entering and discriminating openly against the ones already there. U.S.Grant said something like: "if I thought for one minute that this war was about slavery I would give my sword to the other side". He owned slaves during the war. He was a good example of the typical northerner at that time.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To Pat or Miguel  –  José Roberto  20/FEV/2003, 2:05 PM
Re: To Pat or Miguel  –  Jonas  20/FEV/2003, 2:17 PM
Re: To Pat or Miguel  –  pat  20/FEV/2003, 6:31 PM
Re: To Pat or Miguel  –  José Roberto  20/FEV/2003, 7:53 PM
Re: To Pat or Miguel  –  Miguel Vieira  21/FEV/2003, 3:17 PM
 Re: To Pat or Miguel  –  pat  23/FEV/2003, 7:10 PM
Re: To Pat or Miguel  –  Miguel Vieira  24/FEV/2003, 11:54 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K