[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  26/FEV/2003 10:45 PM
Assunto:  Re: Southern accent

Mensagem:  Jonas, I know exactly where you're coming from. You most likely live in the northeast or mid-west. These are the places that have superiority attitudes towards the south in general. But don't just go with the flow. Keep in mind that Texas is the biggest state in continental U.S. and where I am, Houston, the forth largest city in the world, is very metropolitan. The intonation of Noutherners/Texans is totally different than the Northerners. They speak with their noses much more than the people back in New England do. Foreign accent could be both slight (leve) or thick (forte). In my case, I would have to say that it's slight. Most native speakers can barely hear my foreign accent. In fact, my sounds are foreign in only a few "difficult" sounds. If you were to hear me speak, you would probably think that I am a Puerto Rican who grew up and went to school in New York. Interestingly enough, a couple of people that I've met have told me that my accent could "pass" for someone from the state of Loiusiana (a metropolitan southern state). Now, answering your question, yes, I do think that adopting a Texas accent will make me feel more of an insider. Plus I find the never-ending question "where are you from" a bit annoying.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Southern accent  –  Miguel Vieira  26/FEV/2003, 11:53 AM
Re: Southern accent  –  Jonas  26/FEV/2003, 9:43 PM
 Re: Southern accent  –  Miguel Vieira  26/FEV/2003, 10:45 PM
Re: Southern accent  –  Ricardo - EMB -  26/FEV/2003, 10:13 PM
Re: Southern accent  –  Miguel Vieira  26/FEV/2003, 10:19 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K