[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  20/DEZ/2004 10:07 AM
Assunto:  Re: Differences!!!

Mensagem:  I´m not so stupid and I´m not that stupid. (I do not see a major difference between the two. Context could determine which one would be appropriate. John: "Don't go to the party with Mary!" Fred: "I'm not that stupid. She's boring and can't dance." [Here "I'm not so stupid" simply doesn't fit.] John: I'm glad that you did not take the job in Japan. The conditions were bad and so was the pay." Fred: "I´m not so stupid." or "I´m not that stupid." [Here either answer would be correct.]) Phantom and Ghost. ("Ghost" is much more common than "phantom". The latter is more literary, more formal. There are some expressions that require one but not the other. For example, you can say "ghost writer" but not "phantom writer". [If you write a book for me and I sell it under my name, you were my "ghost writer". If you are writing things and nobody has any idea who you are, possibly you are a "phantom writer". You appear and disappear like a ghost.] Neither necessarily means the spirit of a dead person. I've read of "phantom armies" and "ghost armies". Neither meant that the soldiers were dead, only that the armies moved with great stealth. I suggest that you look up these two words in an English language dictionary and compare the meanings. Your question is valid, but it's very difficult to give a short description of the minor differences between the words.) Saloon,parlor,room,hall,ball. (A "saloon" is a bar. You often hear this word in Western [cowboy]movies. You will seldom hear this word used to describe a modern bar. Almost always it is used in the sense of a cowboy bar, a bar from the 1800s. A "salon" is usually a "beauty shop" or "beauty parlor". Sometimes it is used to mean a place where people can dance. I haven't heard the term for a long time, but people used to talk of "ice cream parlors". These were restaurant-like businesses where people could buy ice cream and talk with their friends. A "parlor" is a "salon" in the sense of a beauty salon. Beauty salon = beauty parlor. About 75 years ago and earlier, a parlor was a living room. It's no longer used in that sense. A "hall" can be various things. It can be a corredor, residencia universitaria, sala, prefeitura, etc. In the US, we do not have the tradition of "republicas" as in Brazil. When students live in buildings owned by the university, these buildings are often called "dorms" or "halls". Our translation of "prefeitura" is "city hall". We also rent a "hall" for a dance, a lecture, etc. In that sense, it's clearly a "sala". A "ball" is a very formal dance. Of course, a ball can also be a "bola".) Classic and classical. (I can't help you here! We talk of "classical music" but of "classic cars". A general can make a "classic mistake" but he may like "classical literature".) Bare,naked and nude. (I've never heard "nude" used with anything but humans. This is a very nice, "soft" word. "Bare" and "naked" can be used for humans and things. A mountain might be bare of trees, but it would not be naked of trees. A table without any books would be bare, not naked. A man without clothing could be bare, naked, or nude. A wire without insulation is "bare", not "naked" or "nude".) Signal and sign. ("Signal" usually implies some movement or action. A "semaforo" is a signal and not a sign. It has lights that change colors. If a friend uses a gesture to tell me to come to him, he has given a "signal". If you hear a "beep" on your computer, it may be a "signal". You are driving a car and want to turn left. You make a "signal" to turn, not a "sign". A "sign", however, is different. If you are driving down the street and see a "sinal" that says "Stop!", you have seen a "sign" and not a "signal". When you see the name of a restaurant, you are looking at a "sign" and not a "signal".) Your questions are valid, but they are difficult to answer. As a native speaker, your ear tells you when something is right or wrong. But how can nuances be explained? Tough.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Differences!!!  –  Márcio Alexandre  19/DEZ/2004, 10:49 AM
Re: Differences!!!  –  Johannes  19/DEZ/2004, 7:11 PM
Re: Differences!!!  –  diego do Santos  19/DEZ/2004, 8:17 PM
Re: Differences!!!  –  JFK  19/DEZ/2004, 8:20 PM
Re: Differences!!!  –  Márcio Alexandre  20/DEZ/2004, 12:47 AM
JFK: Differences!!!  –  Johannes  20/DEZ/2004, 11:24 AM
 Re: Differences!!!  –  Dale  20/DEZ/2004, 10:07 AM
Re: Differences!!!  –  orlando  20/DEZ/2004, 1:58 PM
Re: Differences!!!  –  Dale  20/DEZ/2004, 2:22 PM