[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  30/DEZ/2004 1:58 PM
Assunto:  Tired of people bashing my country

Mensagem:  Okay gang. Here's some English text that you might find interesting. It's written on the level of a tenth grader in high school so the words are not too hard to understand. I'm tired of people bashing the government of the USA (which I agree isn't the most perfect in the world but that's what happens when you have a republic governed by elected officials). A guy named Tony posted this into a newsgroup that I read: Quote: I gather that the US had pledged a whopping $30 million to help people devastated in South Asia. Why that is almost as much the umpteen billion we have spent bringing peace, stability, and democracy to Iraq. Tony Unquote Here is what another person wrote back: Quote: I know what a thrill it is for you when you have a chance to bash the US, but by now, you really should realize that what you may get away with in your classroom.................won't work here. Really should do some checking............it isn't all that hard I am forced to wonder, why people such as yourself, take every opportunity to bash your own country, when the simplest check would prove your accusations baseless. Ah-------that's it. You don't want your accusations proved baseless. What would you talk about over the brie? Unquote To show what the US is really doing around the world the following articles were posted: --------------------------------------------------------- http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041229/D879EB6O0.html Bush noted that the United States provided $2.4 billion "in food, in cash, in humanitarian relief to cover the disasters for last year. ... That's 40 percent of all the relief aid given in the WORLD last year." Natsios was quick to point out Tuesday that foreign assistance for development and emergency relief rose from $10 billion in President Clinton's last year to $24 BILLION under President Bush in 2003. Powell said U.S. assistance for this week's earthquake and tsunamis alone will eventually exceed $1 billion. The United States uses the most common measure of the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a group of 30 rich nations that counts development aid. By that measure, the United States spent almost $15.8 billion for "official development assistance" to developing countries in 2003. Next closest was Japan, at $8.9 billion. That doesn't include billions more the United States spends in other areas, such as AIDS and HIV programs and other U.N. assistance. ------------------------------------------------------------- //www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20041228-090339-2070r.htm ....... Secretary of State Colin Powell fired back yesterday morning, pointing out to Mr. Egeland that the United States is the greatest contributor to international relief efforts in the world, and that MORE THAN HALF of the $7 million appeal by the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent was being met by the United States government. The subtext: Mr. Egeland had done further damage to the U.N.'s credibility as a competent administrator of humanitarian relief by trying to use human misery to further an unrelated leftist economic agenda. ------------------------------------------------------ http://www.washtimes.com/national/20041229-121821-3403r.htm "The foreign assistance of many countries now is 0.1 or 0.2 percent of their gross national income," Mr. Egeland said on Monday. "I think that is stingy really. I don't think that is very generous." He pointed out that only Scandinavian countries like Norway, Sweden and Denmark, as well as the Netherlands and Luxembourg, give at least 0.7 percent of their gross national income, a level suggested by the United Nations 25 years ago. Mr. Egeland — a former journalist, deputy foreign minister of Norway and head of that nation's Amnesty International chapter — DID NOT MENTION that the U.S. government gave $15.8 BILLION, MORE THAN ANY OTHER NATION to development aid last year, compared to $2 billion by Norway. The U.S. figure does NOT INCLUDE include massive infusions of cash to Iraq and Afghanistan. NOR does it include the category of food aid, where the United States is the LARGEST DONOR IN THE WORLD or charitable contributions by private American individuals, churches and other organizations. But just to be on the safe side, Mr. Duffy went out of his way to tout America's generosity in response to disasters in Asia and elsewhere. "The United States and the American people are the single largest contributors to international aid efforts across the globe," he told reporters near the president's ranch in Crawford, Texas, where President Bush will address the press today. "We outmatch the contributions of other nations combined." He added: "Those contributions take the form of official government assistance, as well as individual charitable contributions to the Red Cross and to other international and nongovernmental organizations." ............ "We are the greatest contributor to international relief efforts in the world," Powell said on CNN. "We do more to help people who are suffering from lack of food or who are in poverty or suffering from HIV/AIDS.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Tired of people bashing my country  –  Tom  30/DEZ/2004, 1:58 PM
Re: Tired of people bashing my country  –  johannes  30/DEZ/2004, 6:39 PM
Re: Tired of people bashing my country  –  Tom  30/DEZ/2004, 7:49 PM
bubbles  –  Johannes  30/DEZ/2004, 8:31 PM
Re: bubbles  –  Tom  30/DEZ/2004, 9:54 PM
Re: bubbles  –  Dale  31/DEZ/2004, 2:11 AM
Re: bubbles  –  Tom  31/DEZ/2004, 10:34 AM
Re: bubbles  –  André Oliveira  31/DEZ/2004, 10:45 AM
Re: bubbles  –  Dale  31/DEZ/2004, 3:39 PM