[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Luiz
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  02/JAN/2005 11:49 PM
Assunto:  Lou and Dale, Re: Ordem dos adjetivos nas frases

Mensagem:  Lou and Dale, Thanks you guys for your great explanation, but how can I decide on the proper word order as for adjectives? See the situation below, please: 1) "a BROWN GERMAN BEER mug" 2) "a CHINESE GLASS FLOWER vase" In sentence 1) you used "number+color+ORIGIN+purpose+noun" In sentence 2) you used "number+ORIGIN+material+purpose+noun" I'm not implying you are wrong, definitely not. I agree with you, and appreciate your help indeed. I would like to know how one can detect when to use situation 1) or 2) ??? Should I change the word order in a way that makes the sentence sound more smoothly (as to what Dale has said) and less artificial (as the fingernail scratchig the blackboard giving someone the creeps? In short, should I allow myself to be very flexible as for the word order because each sentence presents a different case and/or exception to the rule? The reason why I am asking about the word order is because I am currently attending the "Advanced Level B" at Fisk, and there are tons of exercises on the "adjective word order", and they make me really confused at times. Thanks for your help, Luís Silva

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Ordem dos adjetivos nas frases em inglês  –  Luís  02/JAN/2005, 3:58 PM
Re: Ordem dos adjetivos nas frases em inglês  –  Johannes  02/JAN/2005, 5:57 PM
Re: Ordem dos adjetivos nas frases em inglês  –  Lou  02/JAN/2005, 7:05 PM
Re: Ordem dos adjetivos nas frases em inglês  –  Dale  02/JAN/2005, 8:50 PM
 Lou and Dale, Re: Ordem dos adjetivos nas frases  –  Luiz  02/JAN/2005, 11:49 PM
Re: Ordem dos adjetivos nas frases em inglês  –  Dale  03/JAN/2005, 12:43 AM
Re: Ordem dos adjetivos nas frases em inglês  –  Gilberto Morbach  28/AGO/2007, 6:36 PM
Re: Ordem dos adjetivos nas frases em inglês  –  André Oliveira  03/JAN/2005, 5:23 PM
Ordem dos adjetivos nas frases em inglês  –  anonimo  17/MAI/2010, 5:21 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K