[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  John H
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/JAN/2005 2:45 PM
Assunto:  Re: Difference

Mensagem:  Think of? Think about? They are interchangeable when they mean "to plan" or "to consider'. "To think of" can mean "to imagine" or "to remember". I am thinking about/of going to the store. (planning-considering) She is thinking about/of studying in Paris. (planning-considering) Think of a number between 1 and 10. ("About" cannot be used here. "Think of" means here "Imagine".) I think of what it must be like to live in Tokyo. ("Think of", not "think about". I am imagining what it is like.) Can you think of any other questions? ("of", not "about" I am asking if you can remember or imagine more questions.) perguntar? pedir? Ask for? Ask to ? Ask? perguntar You ask a question. You ask someone's name. You ask the time. You ask if you can go to the party. You ask if the train is late. pedir You ask for a loan. You ask for a book. You ask for a glass of water. You ask to do something. (You ask for permission to do something.) You ask to dance with her. (You ask for permission to do dance with her.) IMPORTANT: Do not use "to" before a name or personal pronoun. "I asked to Peter to go with me." = Wrong. "I asked Peter to go with me." = Correct. "I asked to her to marry me." = Wrong "I asked her to marry me." = Correct JH

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Difference  –  Márcio  22/JAN/2005, 10:58 PM
 Re: Difference  –  John H  23/JAN/2005, 2:45 PM
Re: Difference: JH  –  Johannes  23/JAN/2005, 3:00 PM
Re: Difference: JH  –  John  26/JAN/2005, 3:14 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K