[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  29/JAN/2005 1:32 AM
Assunto:  Re: English in poor countries

Mensagem:  Do you see a connection between the poverty level of a country and the quality (or lack of) of the English spoken there? From your choice of a title for your posting, perhaps you do. There is a difference between what is an official language of a country and what is the mother language of its inhabitants. I assume there is no need to go into definitions here. You mention South Africa and Nigeria. As I recall, South Africa has two official languages: English and Afrikaans (a Dutch dialect). For some Africans, their mother tongue is English, for others it is Afrikaans, and for others Zulu or another African language. I would not expect to find, nor have I found, major differences between the English of a native speaker of English born in South Africa with that of a native speaker of English born elsewhere. I dated a South African. English was her native language, I assume she spoke Afrikaans, and I know she spoke some Zulu. Her English was the equal of any other native speaker that comes to mind. The same can be said of the other South Africans I have known over the years. English is the native language of Nigeria, but for how many is it their mother tongue? I studied with many Nigerians from 1979 to 1981. Most spoke English quite well, and one spoke English so well that I had thought initially she was a native speaker. They were, of course, exceptional people. They had the money and education to be able to travel to and study in the USA. Had they not spoken English well, they would not have been in graduate school. Does Nigeria have a second official language? I don't know. I do know, however, that many diverse languages are spoken in Nigeria and English is used as a lingua franca. And, yes, Pidgin English is a language spoken in Nigeria. In one study group in which I was the only non-Nigerian, only two Nigerians spoke the same Nigerian language. Without English, a language completely foreign to their culture, the students (except for those two) would not have been able to communicate. The wealth or poverty of these nations does not have, in my opinion, any relationship to the quality of the English spoken there. The real determinating factor is simply this, "Is standard English their native language?"

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
English na Índia  –  vanessa  27/JAN/2005, 10:32 AM
Re: English na Índia  –  Dean  27/JAN/2005, 1:17 PM
Re: english na india  –  Ricky  27/JAN/2005, 1:42 PM
Ricardo, Re: English na Índia  –  Dean  27/JAN/2005, 1:52 PM
Re: Ricardo, Re: english na india  –  Ricky  27/JAN/2005, 4:47 PM
Re: Ricardo, Re: English na Índia  –  orlando  27/JAN/2005, 5:10 PM
Re: english na india  –  Tom  27/JAN/2005, 2:30 PM
Re: English na Índia  –  Dale  27/JAN/2005, 3:06 PM
Re: english na india  –  Johannes  27/JAN/2005, 5:52 PM