[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  09/FEV/2005 2:20 PM
Assunto:  DEAN/Re: Help

Mensagem:  Dean, I was surprised to learn that they have "French toast" in Germany. A friend from Hamburg said the name in German meant "poor knight". The knight was so poor that he could not afford meat for dinner, so he would eat fried bread that had been dipped in egg batter. Minus syrup! At the time of World War I, there was a lot of anti-German sentiment in the US, and many things with a German name suddenly had their name changed. Could we have had French toast in the USA under a German name prior to WWI? I wonder... Years ago in Patzcuaro (Mexico), I got "saudades" for an American style breakfast. I was in a hotel with very few guests, and in the morning I was always alone with the cook when I ate. I told him I was going to teach him how to fix French toast. Much to my surprise...an earlier guest had already beaten me to it! I had the best French toast in my life that morning. One of the best translations I've ever found for a bagel is "a piece of bread made from cement." Day old bagels can be lethal!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Help  –  Carlos  09/FEV/2005, 2:15 AM
Re: Help  –  Dean  09/FEV/2005, 3:44 AM
 DEAN/Re: Help  –  Dale  09/FEV/2005, 2:20 PM
Re: DEAN/Re: Help  –  Dean  09/FEV/2005, 6:05 PM
Tenho água na boca  –  orlando  09/FEV/2005, 8:31 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K