[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  17/FEV/2005 9:04 PM
Assunto:  Re: though

Mensagem:  "Well it's just as well, I bought mushroom pizza as well then, isn't it?" ............................................. This is a very strange sounding sentence. Possibly it was written just to confuse the student. The use of "well" three times in the same sentence certainly suggests this possibility. I think I would have punctuated it like this: "Well, it's just as well I bought mushroom pizza as well then, isn't it?" "Pois, tanto faz que comprei uma pizza de congumelos tambem, ne?" "Pois, fiz bem ao comprar uma pizza de congumelos tambem, ne?" Does that make sense? "It's just as well" means something between "tanto faz" and "da no mesmo". A close equivalent in English is "it is a good thing that...", but "it's just as well" is less emphatic. Anna: "I did not go to class last night because my cat died." Bill: "It was just as well. The teacher was in a traffic accident and broke a leg. He couldn't go either." (What Anna failed to do is of little importance and had no impact on others. It was even a good thing that she did not attend the class.) Carol: "I brought my umbrella, but I don't think it will rain today." Dave: "It is just as well. It is better to be safe than sorry." (What Carol did did not impact her or others. It made no difference.) Edie: "I bought a lemon cake because I couldn't find a chocolate one." Frank: "It's just as well. William is allergic to chocolate." (What Edie did did not impact her or others. It made no difference. In fact, it was even a good thing that she did not buy a chocolate cake.)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
though  –  Neto  17/FEV/2005, 2:22 PM
Re: though  –  Johannes  17/FEV/2005, 3:13 PM
 Re: though  –  Dale  17/FEV/2005, 9:04 PM
Re: though  –  Neto  18/FEV/2005, 1:26 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K