[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  18/FEV/2005 9:31 PM
Assunto:  Re: to Tom

Mensagem:  Snow, Yes, we missed you. This is how my brain read the last post you made: Mensagem: Tom I´m glad you missed me...on vacation month I went to a horrible town in Pará. It was too hot, full of mosquitos and terrible (long story) but thank God my daughters and I are at home now. There wasn´t a computer there in the house that we were in a very poor house). I missed you too...If I tell you why I was in this town you'll find it wierd. Tom then it´s not correct to say ´I have 4 siblings (including my brothers and sisters) I mean, don't Americans speak like that? Thanks again Yes, it's correct to say "I have four siblings." which means you have a total of four additional children in the family. What I meant is that not everyone uses the word siblings. Lots of people don't know what the word means. They say brothers and sisters because they never learned the word. One of the most used words is sibling rivalry. Lots of people know what that means. I bet if you went into any of the clubs around here where people go drinking on Friday night not all of them will know the word sibling. It's like these two words: sybil and witch. If you look the word sybil up in a Portuguese-English dictionary and then use the word sybil in a sentence most Americans won't know what you are talking about. However, if you say witch then everyone knows. Did you know that Reader's Digest (Seleções) has been "dumbed down" (feito mais para burros) to the tenth grade level? That's so more people will buy it and read it. No one will read it if they don't know the big words. You get a nota dez for your use of siblings.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
to Tom  –  snow  18/FEV/2005, 9:00 PM
 Re: to Tom  –  Tom  18/FEV/2005, 9:31 PM
Re: to Tom  –  snow  18/FEV/2005, 11:07 PM
to Johannes  –  snow  19/FEV/2005, 7:25 PM
Re: to Tom  –  Johannes  19/FEV/2005, 12:11 PM
Re: to Tom  –  Tom  19/FEV/2005, 1:51 PM
Re: to Tom  –  Eddy Souza  20/FEV/2005, 1:03 AM
Re: to Tom  –  Tom  20/FEV/2005, 1:36 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.