[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  21/FEV/2005 3:18 AM
Assunto:  Re: Ineficiência das escolas brasileiras

Mensagem:  It may be time to stop blaming the schools and take a look at the motivation of the students. I have never visited a language school in Brazil, but I have given a few classes at SESC and helped a teacher at two public schools and one private colegio. The difference between the students at the SESC class and those in the public schools were like day and night. The SESC students were older (15-60?), came prepared to class, participated, asked good questions, paid for their classes out of their own pockets, and never caused any disturbances at all. The non-SESC students were little monsters. They did not prepare for classes, getting them to participate was like pulling teeth, and a lot of time was lost just waiting for them to shut up so the teacher(s) could teach. Just as I about to commit mass murder, the bell would ring and they would give me hug or kiss on their way to torment their next teachers. One school closed down completely to give me a farewell party. I was really happy that I hadn't murdered any of them. How badly does the student want to learn? At the private colegio, many of the students were either studying computers or about to start. Telling them that they were going to use English in their jobs was a waste of breath. They saw English as one more unnecessary and unwanted class. In this forum many people appear to believe that coming to the US to study English is the solution to their problems. Is it? Some of the best speakers of English I have met in Latin America have not studied English outside their home countries. How did they do it? They studied. They were motivated and they studied, taking advantage of every possibly opportunity to learn and practice English. On the other hand, California is full of foreigners who have spent decades here without learning more than a few words of English. I have a Nicaraguan comadre who came here 40 years. She would starve to death in a MacDonald's with a $20 bill in her hand. The mother of another friend lived in the US for about 40 years. The only words I've heard her to say in English are "Hello! How are you? Sit down, please." That about one word per six years.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Ineficiência das escolas brasileiras  –  Mario  19/FEV/2005, 9:09 PM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  NOBRE  19/FEV/2005, 10:27 PM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  Mario  20/FEV/2005, 8:45 PM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  Vigia  20/FEV/2005, 9:31 PM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  Mario  21/FEV/2005, 11:25 AM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  Eddy Souza  21/FEV/2005, 1:04 PM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  David  21/FEV/2005, 10:49 PM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  Mario  22/FEV/2005, 5:29 PM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  David  22/FEV/2005, 8:51 PM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  O. P. DoVale  19/MAR/2005, 12:13 PM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  Ricardo - EMB -  21/FEV/2005, 1:53 PM
Re: Ineficiencia das escolas brasileiras  –  Mario  21/FEV/2005, 4:31 PM
 Re: Ineficiência das escolas brasileiras  –  Dale  21/FEV/2005, 3:18 AM
Re: Ineficiência das escolas brasileiras  –  José Roberto  21/FEV/2005, 9:34 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K