[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/FEV/2005 4:38 PM
Assunto:  Re: wrinkle,crumple,dent

Mensagem:  As Johannes pointed out, we recently discussed wrinkle, crumple, and crease. I'm not sure it was said that "to crumple" often means "to crush". I crumple/crush the paper in my hand. The bridge crumples/crushed under the weight of the cars. "To dent" can mean "amolgar" and "reduzir". How does "reduzir" mean "to dent"? Well, it's a slang expression often related to money. "To dent" means "to reduce by a small amount". #1: I know I owe you $100, but I don't have the money today. Let me give you $25 today and I'll pay the rest next week. The $25 "will make a dent" in the debt that I owe you. #2: I took a kilo of picanha to Andre's house. Since 30 people were expected at the barbecue, the meat I took "didn't make a dent" in the amount of steak he needed to feed everyone. #3: Last night 1 cm of rain fell. It didn't even "make a dent" in the amount of rain we need this year. "Amolgar" is the usual meaning. #4: When your bicycle struck my car, it made a dent in the fender (it dented the fender). #5: The chair had been badly mistreated. The wooden legs were covered with dents and scratches.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Wrinkle, crumple, dent  –  mano  24/FEV/2005, 2:28 PM
Re: wrinkle,crumple,dent  –  Johannes  24/FEV/2005, 2:43 PM
 Re: wrinkle,crumple,dent  –  Dale  24/FEV/2005, 4:38 PM
Re: wrinkle,crumple,dent  –  André Oliveira  24/FEV/2005, 11:22 PM
Andre  –  Johannes  25/FEV/2005, 2:49 PM
Re: Andre  –  André Oliveira  25/FEV/2005, 2:57 PM
Re: Andre  –  Johannes  26/FEV/2005, 9:35 AM
Re: Andre  –  Tom  25/FEV/2005, 6:34 PM
Re: Andre  –  André Oliveira  26/FEV/2005, 12:33 AM