[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  25/FEV/2005 1:38 PM
Assunto:  Re: english club

Mensagem:  I visited "Growing Together" in Curitiba. It had (in 2003) about 30 active members. Most were English teachers, but some were students, travellers, professionals, etc. The club meets once a month for maybe two hours. Each month there is at least one guest who talks about his country, customs, etc. For almost two years the club has had a theatrical group that puts on plays. An obvious problem with such clubs is that the members are talkiing with other non-native speakers. I am not convinced that this improves a participant's command of English. One incident that stands out in my mind was a woman who insisted on calling me "the scout chief" (chefe escoteiro). The correct term in the USA is "scoutmaster" and in the UK "scout leader". Despite my corrections. others were soon calling me the same. I've worked on the staffs of several Spanish immersion courses, and I saw the same thing. Are such clubs worthwhile? Apparently the British Council thinks they are; it took the founder of "Growing Together" to Lima to start a club there.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
english club  –  Alexandre  25/FEV/2005, 7:47 AM
 Re: english club  –  Dale  25/FEV/2005, 1:38 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K