Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  26/FEV/2005 3:16 AM
Assunto:  Re: What's the meaning of ... getting on ?

Mensagem:  Q - "How are you two getting on now that you are business partners?" A - "Our partnership is being great". Liz, I would suggest as alternatives to your second sentence: A: - "OUR PARTNERSHIP IS DOING GREAT." A: - "OUR PARTNERSHIP IS GOING GREAT GUNS." A: - "OUR PARTNERSHIP IS REALLY WORKING OUT." A: - "OUR PARTNERSHIP IS DOING SWELL/WELL/FINE." A: - "WE'RE DOING GREAT/SWELL/FINE/JUST FINE." A: - "WE'RE GETTING ON FAMOUSLY." A: - "WE'RE GETTING ON LIKE GANGBUSTERS." - getting on with Liz, I think these sentences below need "well". The second sentence could use "so well". "Getting on" is neutral. It needs an adverb showing that they are getting on (or along) well, poorly. so-so, etc. Friend A "Jill and Jack are getting on with each other". Friend A "Jill and Jack are getting on WELL with each other". Friend B "I hope Jill doesn't get pregnant before she finishes high school now that she's getting on with Jack." Friend B "I hope Jill doesn't get pregnant before she finishes high school now that she's getting on WELL (or SO WELL) with Jack." Please send your check to the usual bank account. - Dale

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
What's the meaning of ... getting on ?  –  Liz  25/FEV/2005, 10:29 PM
Re: What's the meaning of ... getting on ?  –  Dale  25/FEV/2005, 10:58 PM
Re: What's the meaning of ... getting on ?  –  Liz  26/FEV/2005, 12:43 AM
 Re: What's the meaning of ... getting on ?  –  Dale  26/FEV/2005, 3:16 AM
Dale, Re: What's the meaning of ... getting on ?  –  Liz  28/FEV/2005, 4:14 PM
Re: What's the meaning of ... getting on ?  –  Alexandre  26/FEV/2005, 7:21 AM
to dale  –  Alexandre  26/FEV/2005, 5:13 PM
Re: to dale  –  Dale  27/FEV/2005, 2:50 AM
II-Re: What's the meaning of ... getting on ?  –  Dale  26/FEV/2005, 10:52 AM