Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  28/FEV/2005 8:25 PM
Assunto:  Re: Dale...subject: getting on...

Mensagem:  Liz wrote: Dale, Just to clarify something because I think I've lost it somewhere along the thread: Dale wrote: > Friend B "I hope Jill doesn't get pregnant before she finishes high school now that she's getting on with Jack." Friend B "I hope Jill doesn't get pregnant before she finishes high school now that she's getting on WELL (or SO WELL) with Jack." Do you mean that "she's getting on WELL with Jack" in a sexual way (I mean, are you saying they're getting laid?) ??? Or you are meaning that they have "just" a great friendship (no sex) ??? > Please send your check to the usual bank account. - Dale Thanks a lot for you help, your check is to way - I've sent it via FedEX so you'll get it (the check) faster!!!!!! Brazilians, brazilians we have such a mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Liz ------------------------------------------------------- Liz, here's the problem. (1)For "to get on" to have a sexual connotarionl, it must be include "it" as in "to get it on". You'll find that in my first postiing this was mentioned. (2) You wrote: "Friend B "I hope Jill doesn't get pregnant before she finishes high school now that she's getting on with Jack." Note that you did not use "it" in your sentence. When I read it, I had no idea that you were using the expression with a sexual connotation. Believing that you merely meant "dar-se bem", I wrote: Friend B "I hope Jill doesn't get pregnant before she finishes high school now that she's getting on WELL (or SO WELL) with Jack." The phrase "now that she's getting on WELL (or SO WELL) with Jack" is not related to sex. I suggested "well" or "so well" because "to get on" is a neutral phrase, much like "ir" in the expression "Como vai?" You don't answer the question with "Vou", do you? "Vou" is neutral, it needs and adverb. And "to get on" sounds much better and more natural if it has an adverb such as "well" or "so well". Can "to get on" be used without an adverb? Of course. The use of an adverb, however, makes the sentence sound much better. (3) My misunderstanding was pointed out by someone else. Alexandre? Could be. My misunderstanding underlines that the use of "it" completely changes the meaning of the phrase. Are things clear now? I misunderstood you and my response did not answer your question. Clearly, you did not understand when I tried to correct it. "I hope Jill doesn't get pregnant before she finishes high school now that she's getting on with Jack." Tomara que a Jill nao fique gravida antes de se formar agora que se da bem com o Jack. "I hope Jill doesn't get pregnant before she finishes high school now that she's getting it on with Jack." Tomara que a Jill nao fique gravida antes de se formar agora que esta transando com o Jack. "It" completely changes the meaning of the second sentence.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Dale...subject: getting on...  –  Liz  28/FEV/2005, 5:52 PM
Re: Dale...subject: getting on...  –  Johannes  28/FEV/2005, 6:11 PM
 Re: Dale...subject: getting on...  –  Dale  28/FEV/2005, 8:25 PM
Re: Dale...subject: getting on...  –  Tom  01/MAR/2005, 12:35 PM
Re: Dale...subject: getting on...  –  Liz  01/MAR/2005, 2:45 PM
LOIZ/Re: Dale...subject: getting on...  –  Dale  01/MAR/2005, 8:11 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K