[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  17/MAR/2005 12:40 PM
Assunto:  Re: farelo de pão

Mensagem:  I don't know. When someone like Elsa reminds me of a word that I have not used in a long time it comes back instantly and then is restored in my short term memory. So, I can then use it again for the next year or so. If I don't use it then it's gone. That's why I don't speak French well anymore. When we meet tourists from France, Canada, the Cote Ivoire or other Francophone countries it takes about five minutes for the French vocabulary to come to the working part of my brain. I can understand what is said to me and those words are instantly stored and available to use. As the conversation goes on my fluency improves. We can discuss tourist things, restaurants, the weather, the war in Iraq, the Gulf of Mexico, etc. If I were to visit a country where French is spoken it would take a few weeks to regain that level required for professional contacts. But for day to day stuff, shopping, etc it just takes from a few minutes to an hour or so. The same with Spanish. We just don't use it every day so it sort of slides into a part of the brain where it's out of sight and out of mind.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Miolo de pão  –  Ricky  16/MAR/2005, 3:39 PM
Re: Miolo de pão  –  Tom  16/MAR/2005, 4:52 PM
Tom, estourou os meus miolos  –  Johannes  16/MAR/2005, 6:17 PM
my correction  –  Tom  17/MAR/2005, 12:53 AM
Re: my correction  –  Ricky  17/MAR/2005, 8:49 AM
Re: farelo de pão  –  Elsa  17/MAR/2005, 9:38 AM
Re: farelo de pão  –  Tom  17/MAR/2005, 10:00 AM
Re: farelo de pão  –  Paulo  17/MAR/2005, 11:22 AM
 Re: farelo de pão  –  Tom  17/MAR/2005, 12:40 PM