[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  19/MAR/2005 6:09 PM
Assunto:  The insecurities of the non-native English speaker

Mensagem:  For those of you who are proficient in English but is not a native speaker, do you always feel consciously guarded as to whether you are going to make a grammatical mistake in any given moment? And when you do make a grammatical error, even minor ones, and you realize it in retrospect, does it bother you at all? I'm asking this question in light of my own over-pedantic ways, or shall I Case in point: The following is a sentence I regrettably wrote just yesterday - "Having growing up speaking these two languages I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for her to master Portuguese later on" As soon as I had pressed "enviar mensagem" I immediately realized I should have instead said, [As she will grow up speaking two languages (she will have the bi-lingual vigor) I'm sure she won't have a problem mastering a third one - Portuguese.] "Damn, why coudn't I have said it just like that?", I silently said to myself. Now, the fact that it even bothered me when looking at it in retrospect compelled to wonder if this is just me or maybe it is something common among non-native speakers of English? In order words, do you feel that you have to speak/write perfectly at all times? Right? Wrong? Better yet, let's have, if you would, a discussion on this matter. Regards, -Miguel Vieira

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 The insecurities of the non-native English speaker  –  Miguel Vieira  19/MAR/2005, 6:09 PM
Re: The insecurities of the non-native English ...  –  Alexandre  20/MAR/2005, 10:49 AM
Re: The insecurities of the non-native English ...  –  val  20/MAR/2005, 11:16 PM
Re: The insecurities of the non-native English ...  –  Miguel Vieira  22/MAR/2005, 3:10 PM
Re: The insecurities of the non-native English ...  –  Tom  22/MAR/2005, 8:01 PM
Re: The insecurities of the non-native English ...  –  Alexandre  22/MAR/2005, 10:53 PM
Re: The insecurities of the non-native English ...  –  Miguel Vieira  23/MAR/2005, 4:03 PM
Re: The insecurities of the non-native English ...  –  pat  23/MAR/2005, 8:35 PM
Re: The insecurities of the non-native English ...  –  Alexandre  24/MAR/2005, 4:03 AM
Re: The insecurities of the non-native English ...  –  José Roberto  26/MAR/2005, 11:06 AM
Re: The insecurities of the non-native English ...  –  Miguel Vieira  24/MAR/2005, 2:46 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K