[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/MAR/2005 2:39 PM
Assunto:  Re: embedded question

Mensagem:  EMBEDDED QUESTIONS Wh- questions may be embedded within a statement. Where is the classroom? I don't know where the classroom is. What did you say? I didn't hear what you said. What is the definition? I can't remember what the definition is. Notice that question word order is not used in these noun clauses (embedded questions). In a noun clause the subject precedes the verb. Wh- questions may also be embedded within other questions. Where is Botafogo? Do you know where Botafogo is? Either/or questions and, less commonly, yes/no questions may also be embedded within statements and questions. Notice the use of whether or if which precedes the embedded question to form a noun clause. Are the papers due next Thursday or Friday? I don't remember whether the papers are due Thursday or Friday. Speakers generally expect an answer to the embedded question. Embed the following questions in statements or other questions. 1. How old is he? I don't know how old he is. 2. Where do you live? Please tell me___________________________________. 3. When do midterms begin? Do you know___________________________________? 4. What was the exponent? I can't remember_________________________________. 5. What is a supply curve? Could you tell me_______________________________? 6. What is a monsoon? Can you explain_________________________________? 7. Who signed the treaty? I don't remember________________________________. 8. How many signs were there? I'm not sure____________________________________. 9. Does it happen in the first or I don't remember whether__________________________ the second stage? ______________________________________________. 10. Is this the correct representation of that? Could you tell me if_______________________________ phase? _____________________________________________?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
embedded question  –  Silma  23/MAR/2005, 2:34 PM
 Re: embedded question  –  Tom  23/MAR/2005, 2:39 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K