[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  25/MAR/2005 5:20 PM
Assunto:  Re: Uso do Used to / Get used to

Mensagem:  Uso do Used to / Get used to These expressions have quite different meanings. Your understanding of "used to" appears correct. I used to go to Paris. = Ia a Paris (mas ja nao). I used to live in the city. = Morava na cidade (mas ja nao). "To get used to", however, has a very different meaning: "acostumar-se". (a) "When I lived in the country, I got used to hearing chickens in the early morning." This sentence DOES NOT have the same meaning as "When I lived in the country, I used to hear chickens in the early morning." In the first I am telling you about something that I became accustomed to. In the second I'm telling you about a something I heard daily in the early morning hours. (b) I got used to returning home after midnight. (Nao significa "Voltava depois da meia-noite." Significa "Acostumei-me a voltar depois da meia-noite.) (c) Get used to it. (Acostume-se a ele. Aguente. Nao reclame. Pare de reclamar.) (d) You got me used to French wines. = Voce me acostumou aos vinhos franceses. Does this help? - Dale

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Uso do Used to / Get used to  –  Maria Coelho  25/MAR/2005, 3:07 PM
 Re: Uso do Used to / Get used to  –  Dale  25/MAR/2005, 5:20 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K