[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  12/ABR/2003 9:29 AM
Assunto:  Re: Beat the beejes out of!

Mensagem:  Re-stating the same opinion isn't going to make me agree with it. I don't think that the majority of American slang terms are from AAVE. There are many compendiums of slang and their histories, and I have never recieved the impression that most derive from the slaves. Of course, if you are going to imply - as you have - that all scholarly and historical work on the subject is biased or racist, then there isn't much point in talking about it. Slang also varies greatly around the country. In urban areas slang is overwhelmingly of immigrant origin, often transliterations of foriegn phrases. In the South it is probable that much slang is borrowed from AAVE. Of course, AAVE itself is built upon the non-standard English of earlier native-english speaking immigrants. By the way, Irish immigration started in the 1600's, concurrent with the first importation of black slaves. In fact, the first "slaves", or indentured servants, were largely Irish and other low-class British. That is where the non-standard English basis of AAVE came from. But I'm sure you already know this. Why do you persist in presenting such a simplistic view? Everything is complex and inter-connected. Descendants of white slave-owners in the South in some cases still speak a dialect almost indistinguishable from AAVE. AAVE is not really a "black" language, it is more of a cultural artifact. Many so-called African-Americans have at least as much european heritage as african, yet there is still a distinct black culture. And there is absolutely no doubt that black culture has profoundly affected the larger American culture in every way, more so than any other single ethnic group - but not more so than all the other ethnic groups combined. That isn't accurate, and there is no need to exaggerate.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Beat the beejes out of!  –  Murilo  10/ABR/2003, 11:30 AM
Re: Beat the beejes out of!  –  pat  10/ABR/2003, 8:29 PM
Re: Beat the beejes out of!  –  Emilson  14/ABR/2003, 2:49 PM
Re: Beat the beejes out of!  –  Miguel Vieira  11/ABR/2003, 3:14 PM
Re: Beat the beejes out of!  –  pat  11/ABR/2003, 3:38 PM
Re: Beat the beejes out of!  –  Miguel Vieira  11/ABR/2003, 4:26 PM
 Re: Beat the beejes out of!  –  pat  12/ABR/2003, 9:29 AM
Re: Beat the beejes out of!  –  Miguel Vieira  12/ABR/2003, 3:19 PM
Re: Beat the beejes out of!  –  pat  13/ABR/2003, 9:18 AM