[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  01/ABR/2005 2:12 PM
Assunto:  Re: To Tom (re a crase)

Mensagem:  Ana, In the sentence "Vou à Juiz de Fora." you are actually saying "Vou a a (cidade de) Juiz de Fora." Not knowing the real words to use to explain grammar let me try to explain it like this: o acento grave indica a fusão de dois ás (a + a). I guess you would say it's the union of the preposition a with the article a. This results in a crasis (word I just learned...crase in English)which is represented by the acento grave. exemplo: Fui a a cidade. Fui à cidade. There is no crasis in front of a verb as in: As crianças começaram a brincar. Contas a pagar. Nor is there a crasis in front of a masculine noun: Gostam de andar a pé. Andam sempre a cavalo. Comida a quilo é nova mania. But you do use a crasis in the pronunciation of feminine adverbs: Às vezes, penso em você. Vire à esquerda e depois à direita. Estava à toa na vida..... (this words come from Chico Buarque) Começam às quatro horas de hoje mudanças no trânsito de Cristal, Porto Alegre. Não gosto de sair à noite. Faz tudo às escondidas. There are some expressions that I really can't explain like à mode (de) and à maneira (de). Churrasco à moda gaúcha. Feijoada à carioca. (Here one understands it's à moda carioca) You also do a crasis with deonstrative pronouns like aquele(s), aquela(s) and aquilo when the fusion is with an a plus the pronoun. Look at these examples: Aderi àquele greve. (Aderi a aquele greve.) (I took part in that strike.) Não vou àquele pais. (Não vou a aquele pais. Dirija-se àquela sala. (Dirija-se a aquela sala.) The acento agudo (á) indicates the sound of an open vowel as you hear in words like filé and avó but the acento grave doesn't change the sound. It's more like a signal that there was a fusion of the two vowels. Think of it as a traffic signal as you would an apostrophe that indicates a deleted letter (galinha-d'angola). Don't forget the trema. It's used to indicate when the letter u in the gu and qu words must be pronounced. Look at these words: guerra (silent u) agüentar (u pronounced) aquilo (silent u) freqüente (u pronounced) I won't even mention the cedilha because it's the first accent you learned in Portuguese. You know that it comes under a c before the letters a, o or u and makes the phonic sound sê. Think of how it changes words (louca, louça; caco, caço; acudir, açude). Ever since my first post in this forum I've stated that I'm not the guy to go to for grammar. There are a lot of real teachers in the forum who are so well educated that I'd never profess to even know five per cent of what they have learned and teach in their day to day activities. I'm just a guy who loves tutu à mineira with a really cold Brahma beer. I sure hope this helps you, Tom

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To Tom (re a crase)  –  Ana M  01/ABR/2005, 3:05 AM
 Re: To Tom (re a crase)  –  Tom  01/ABR/2005, 2:12 PM
Re: To Tom (re a crase)  –  Ana M  01/ABR/2005, 4:34 PM
Re: To Tom (re a crase)  –  Tom  01/ABR/2005, 5:13 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K