[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  02/ABR/2005 7:21 PM
Assunto:  Re: pagar a língua

Mensagem:  Concordo com o Rodolfo. O gaucho e homem que e homem, e o gaucho nao fala uma coisa e faz outra. MJD, "Practice what you preach" is certainly related to the idiom, but it doesn't seem to be the same. If Joao said he'd never marry and now he's inviting me to his wedding, I'd say something like "Look who's talking now." (He said one thing, but later he did another.) At the time Joao told me he'd never marry, I could have said "Never say never." Once he'd decided to marry, I could say "Look who's talking now." At that point, it would not be appropriate to say "Never say never." At no point would I say "Practice what you preach." You give me a ride. I criticize your messy car. You could tell me, "Practice what you preach. I've seen the junk you carry around in your car. It's a pigsty." I am saying one thing but I am doing another, and I am doing so at the same time. You are smoking a cigar, and you tell me I should not smoke because it is bad for my health. I could say, "Practice what you preach. You tell me not to smoke, but you smoke like a chimney." Do you see the difference?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
pagar a língua  –  cereal killer  01/ABR/2005, 11:48 PM
Re: pagar a língua  –  MJD  02/ABR/2005, 7:23 AM
Re: pagar a língua  –  Johannes  02/ABR/2005, 8:45 AM
Re: pagar a língua  –  Rodolfo  02/ABR/2005, 9:15 AM
Re: pagar a língua  –  Fabio  02/ABR/2005, 9:47 AM
Re: pagar a língua  –  Fabio  02/ABR/2005, 9:49 AM
Re: pagar a língua  –  cereal  02/ABR/2005, 7:54 PM
Re: pagar a língua  –  babillarde  02/ABR/2005, 10:13 PM
Rodolfo  –  Johannes  02/ABR/2005, 1:47 PM