[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  03/ABR/2005 7:28 PM
Assunto:  Re: Economic

Mensagem:  ECONOMIC Main Entry: eco·nom·ic Pronunciation: "e-k&-'nä-mik, "E-k&- Function: adjective 1 archaic : of or relating to a household or its management 2 : ECONOMICAL 2 3 a : of or relating to economics b : of, relating to, or based on the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services c : of or relating to an economy 4 : having practical or industrial significance or uses : affecting material resources 5 : PROFITABLE ECONOMICS Main Entry: eco·nom·ics Pronunciation: "e-k&-'nä-miks, "E-k&- Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction 1 : a social science concerned chiefly with description and analysis of the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services 2 : economic aspect or significance ECONOMY Main Entry: econ·o·my Pronunciation: i-'kä-n&-mE, &-, E- Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural -mies Etymology: Middle French yconomie, from Medieval Latin oeconomia, from Greek oikonomia, from oikonomos household manager, from oikos house + nemein to manage -- more at VICINITY, NIMBLE 1 archaic : the management of household or private affairs and especially expenses 2 a : thrifty and efficient use of material resources : frugality in expenditures; also : an instance or a means of economizing : SAVING b : efficient and concise use of nonmaterial resources (as effort, language, or motion) 3 : the arrangement or mode of operation of something : ORGANIZATION 4 : the structure of economic life in a country, area, or period; specifically : an economic system ECONOMICAL Main Entry: eco·nom·i·cal Pronunciation: -'nä-mi-k&l Function: adjective 1 archaic : ECONOMIC 1 2 : marked by careful, efficient, and prudent use of resources : THRIFTY 3 : operating with little waste or at a saving synonym see SPARING - eco·nom·i·cal·ly /-mi-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Economic  –  Paula  03/ABR/2005, 6:11 PM
 Re: Economic  –  Tom  03/ABR/2005, 7:28 PM
Re: Economic  –  Paula  04/ABR/2005, 10:15 AM
Re: Economic  –  Tom  04/ABR/2005, 10:23 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K