[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  03/ABR/2005 8:38 PM
Assunto:  MLB abre hoje!!

Mensagem:  Sim, MLB abre hoje. MLB: Major League Baseball (professional league....too overpaid for what they do) The first games of the season are today and will be played until later in the year when the World Series Championships take place. So, what's it got to do with English? Not only is baseball America's pastime but the most pervasive athletic metaphor in the American language. Whether or not we're fans, we speak baseballese just about every day, and all year round. Fill in each blank below with a common word or phrase that has its origins in baseball. Don't worry. I won't throw you any curveballs. In fact, right off the bat, I'll offer an example for you to bat around: "I know you won't quit. You'll always be IN THERE PITCHING." 1. We're not making a bit of progress with this project. We can't even get to _____. 2. You are so out of it. You're way out there in _____. 3. Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth, while others are born with _____ against them. 4. Everybody's so enthusiastic about your proposal. You just hit a _____. 5. I know you can't give me an exact price, but can you give me a _____ figure? 6. These people are really serious. They play _____. 7. On Broadway, the new musical "The Producers" has been a _____. 8. I promise I'll consult you before I make any decisions. I'll be sure to _____ with you. 9. I can't meet you today, but I'd like to in the near future. Would you mind if I took a _____? 10. Let's act quickly. Let's do it right _____. 11. She's such a wild and wacky woman - a real _____. 12. Throckmorton is away at a conference, so we're going to have Gump _____ for him. 13. That performance was great. It was a _____ performance. 14. They're chintzy, they're inexperienced; they're incompetent. They run a _____ operation. 15. Greg will stay single for the rest of his life. Rather than settling down, he prefers to _____. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Answers 1. first base 2. left field 3. two strikes 4. home run 5. ballpark 6. hardball (uma bola dura feita de couro...significa um jogo duro em negocios tanto como nos esportes) 7. smash hit (bater a bola com muito sucesso) 8. touch base 9. rain check (ingresso para voltar sem pagar devido a chuva e encerramento do jogo) 10. off the bat (taco atinge a bola que sai numa direção errada) 11. screwball (bola que gira no ar como um parafuso) 12. pinch-hit (substituir para um outro com o taco) 13. major league (liga de profesionais - salarios de milionario) 14. bush league/minor league (liga semi-profesional, salario bem baixo) 15. play the field (proteger o campo)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 MLB abre hoje!!  –  Tom  03/ABR/2005, 8:38 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K