[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  03/ABR/2005 11:05 PM
Assunto:  Re: quanto tanto para a Ana M

Mensagem:  Hi Tom! Eng: Yeah, I figured you might be just 2 hours but wasn't sure. And, also, yeah as much as I complained, I know I am one of the lucky ones. Didn't really suffer any damage 'cuz I was just renting, just parted with a lot of stuff. It really depressed me seeing what was so beautiful before look so awful and I realized how long it would be before all the roofs, etc. got fixed. I didn't realize the insurance companies had everyone in a bind, in limbo, still. That's a shame. Don't the FEMA and Red Cross $$ help with any of it at this point, or is it past the "crisis" stage in their view? Please don't go to too much trouble about the prepositions, Tom. I have reference books and the new grammar book I cited emphasizes Brazilian Porgtuguese. I just learned Portuguese in a very unstructured way and I think it's time I just got back to the basics and learned sentence structure from the beginning. I will give you an example, tho', of where the crase prob comes in: I printed out an article from "Folha" online [art: "Polícia divulga retratos falados de suspeitos da chacina no Rio"] to study the sentences and the "a"s. I picked out the following sentences (among others) where I could figure out why the accent was or was not used: " . . . conforme a polícia." OK, just an article, no need prep here ". . . afirma que 'trabalha com a forte hipótese ...'" OK, just an article, no need prep here "O ministro ... colocou a Polícia à disposição do governo ..." OK, the first one is just an article and the one w/the crase is from putting AT the disposition of the govt. So, OK here " . . . homem de 45 a 50 anos . . ." OK, I know why not here (tho' can't explain it offhand, but I know it from my book) "No dia seguinte às chacinas no Rio ..." I don't understand why the crase is needed here. My Houiass has "seguir a margem do Sena" as an example w/out the crase. "... recebeu as notícias . . .prestar solidariedade às famílias . . OK, I think I understand w/out and with here; first an article, second is prestar ... to the families [not sure where I got this sentence, can't find it on the original page I printed] "Até as 20h, o Disque-Denúncia havia ..." This I don't understand unles it just has to do w/horas being abbreviated. Why not here? So my main concern is coming across a typo and going nuts trying to figure out why it is or isn't there when it might be just a typo. So. let me work out this preposition thing. I think I have a pretty good understanding of a lot of them. It's the combination with the verbs and the "determining factors" of the nouns that I need to figure out. I'm sure I also need to review direct and non-direct objects 'cuz they play a big part as well. Também vou estudar mais a sua lista de tanto/quanto porque quero ter mais habilidade com este tipo de frases. It sounds absolutely gorgeous where you live, apesar de tudo. Hope you had a nice time in the sun today. Pois, best regards, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
quanto tanto para a Ana M  –  Tom  02/ABR/2005, 4:21 PM
Re: quanto tanto para a Ana M  –  Ana M  02/ABR/2005, 4:52 PM
Re: quanto tanto para a Ana M  –  Tom  02/ABR/2005, 5:14 PM
Re: quanto tanto para a Ana M  –  Ana M  02/ABR/2005, 11:28 PM
Re: quanto tanto para a Ana M  –  Tom  03/ABR/2005, 1:11 AM
Re: quanto tanto para a Ana M  –  Ana M  03/ABR/2005, 2:23 PM
Re: quanto tanto para a Ana M  –  Tom  03/ABR/2005, 2:42 PM
 Re: quanto tanto para a Ana M  –  Ana M  03/ABR/2005, 11:05 PM
Re: quanto tanto para a Ana M  –  Alexandre  04/ABR/2005, 7:33 AM