[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  11/ABR/2005 9:20 PM
Assunto:  Re: Secos & Molhados

Mensagem:  Hi Alexandre! Thank you for some more helpful hints. :):):) I will check out the other writer you mentioned. You're the first fellow Joelmir Beting fan I've met. :):):) In my research the other day, I read some stuff on the Brazilian government website and was really impressed by the writing. It was so smooth and eloquent! Well, it sounded that way to me. I think the writer's name was Paul Singer -- he sure knows how to put words together. :):):) I also registered on that website you suggested the other day and hope to attend some of their events and meet up with some people in the near future. I failed miserably today in my interview. I didn't realize there would be so many words to translate at one time. By the time the lady got to the end of the sentence in English, I couldn't remember how it started -- let alone translate it into Portuguese!! Oh, well. I have learned a lot and will keep on studying. Hopefully, I will meet someone with whom to practice speaking Portuguese instead of just reading and writing :):):) So, thank you again for the referral. Correção para: I hope someone shows up with a definite definition of secos e molhados. MELHOR: I hope someone COMES UP with a definite . . . To "show up" means you physically appear somewhere (or even, for instance, words appearing on your screen -- something can "show up" on your computer screen). But, in English we would use "come up" as in "He came up with a great idea for his mother's birthday present." -- in addition to all its other uses. I'm going to relax tonight and will hopefully be back to writing in Portuguese soon ... Obrigada, Alexandre. Um abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Secos & Molhados  –  Ana M  09/ABR/2005, 1:05 PM
Re: Secos & Molhados  –  Alexandre  10/ABR/2005, 3:35 AM
 Re: Secos & Molhados  –  Ana M  11/ABR/2005, 9:20 PM
Re: Secos & Molhados  –  Alexandre  12/ABR/2005, 12:58 AM
Re: Secos & Molhados  –  Marcelo  12/ABR/2005, 12:18 PM
Re: Secos & Molhados  –  Ana M  12/ABR/2005, 12:59 PM
curiosity killed the cat  –  Johannes  12/ABR/2005, 2:14 PM
Re: curiosity killed the cat  –  Ana M  12/ABR/2005, 4:09 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.