[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  12/ABR/2005 5:45 PM
Assunto:  Re: Phrasal verbs

Mensagem:  Hi Paulo! Gee, I wish I could help you. I am not a teacher. You really just have to learn the uses/combinations one by one as you come across them. A good English dictionary is the best reference for this. I just did a little "Google" search to check out a few online dictionaries and one in particular might be useful to you. It looks like you have to go first to "yahoo.com" Then enter "english dictionary" in the blank for "search." Then "bookmark" that page or add it to your favorites so you can zip right to it the next time. It shows "Search dictionary" and this is where you enter the word you are looking for. The dictionary used is the American Heritage Dictionary -- a very good source -- and I've pasted a sample of a search for "out" below to show how the words are listed. It's really easy. You can just click on the one you want and it will give you a definition. So here's how "out" begins: "out- pref. outing n. all out adv. all-out adj. bliss-out n. burned-out adj. burnt-out adj. coming-out n. cop-out n. dim-out n. fade-out n. falling-out n. far-out adj. flat out adv. flat-out adj. force-out n. freak-out n. gross-out n. ice-out n. lead-out n. let-out n. lights out n." . . . and there are more ... 51 for "out" I'm afraid I don't know of an easier way to figure all the meanings out (pun intended). When you want to see if you are using a word correctly, just write a sample sentence or two using it and post a message on English Made in Brazil asking if the sentence/s are correct. (I'm still working on my "tanto-quanto's" :):):) I entered in a few other words and here's how many definitions this site showed: up - 86 down - 40 away - 9 It will take time, but perserverence will pay off, I'm sure. Good luck, Paulo! And have fun! Don't let it overwhelm you -- that's when it's time to take a break . . . Um abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Phrasal verbs  –  Masa  12/ABR/2005, 5:05 PM
 Re: Phrasal verbs  –  Ana M  12/ABR/2005, 5:45 PM
Re: Phrasal verbs  –  Masa  13/ABR/2005, 1:05 PM
Re: Phrasal verbs  –  Rodolfo  12/ABR/2005, 7:54 PM
Re: Phrasal verbs  –  Masa  13/ABR/2005, 12:59 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K