[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  13/ABR/2005 12:39 PM
Assunto:  Re: Obeisance

Mensagem:  Alo Marcia! I can give you my impression from the text you have here, but poetry is always open to the interpretation of the reader. My dictionary give the descripition of obeisance as "1. a gesture of respect or reverence such as a bow or curtsy, 2. the attitude shown by this; homage; deference" -- so the author just seems to be using a fancy word for "homage" here, though indeed in a very poetic sense. To me, she's trying to draw a mental picture of a figure kneeling down (maybe even a cloud form suggesting this posture) in homage and then rising up "when the colours came..." and this figure represents some "vast" "universal force," you might say, that is showing reverence for . . . whatever the subject is of this diary entry (could be revering Mother Nature herself or the beauty of the earth. The description seems to be of an eclipse of the sun or moon). I am not familiar with this author's works, tho' I have, of course, heard of her. That's my "take" on it, anyway. Hope this helps you form your own unique interpretation. Keep on reading :):):) Um abraço, Ana

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Obeisance  –  Marcia  11/ABR/2005, 3:10 PM
 Re: Obeisance  –  Ana M  13/ABR/2005, 12:39 PM
Re: Obeisance  –  Marcia  19/ABR/2005, 11:43 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K