[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  18/ABR/2005 12:23 AM
Assunto:  Re: Thorough / utterly

Mensagem:  Hi Paula! It's true they are somewhat synonymous, but they are a little different. However, if this is strictly a grammatical matter, then utterly would be used because "thorough" is not in the proper form for the blank in this sentence (adjective vs. adverb). To use "thorough" in this sentence, you would need to add the "ly" = thoroughly. Sample sentences: "I was very thorough in my answer." "I answered the question thoroughly." Your new dress is utterly fantastic! You would not say, "Your new dress is thoroughly fantastic." "Thorough/thoroughly" means complete, complete. Utterly has the implication of something surprising. Here's what my dictionary says: "adj. 1. complete; total 2 unqualified; absolute; unconditional" "I was utterly shocked at the news on TV." When referring to something disgusting, they more or less convey the same thing. "The way he _________ is utterly disgusting." "The way he _________ is thoroughly disgusting." Use "utter" sparingly, when appropriate. Hope this helps you. Good luck in your studies! :):):) Ana P.S. Don't forget the 2nd definition of "utter" as a verb: "Don't utter a sound or they will hear you." :):):) Noun: utterance

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Thorough / utterly  –  Paula  17/ABR/2005, 11:07 PM
 Re: Thorough / utterly  –  Ana M  18/ABR/2005, 12:23 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K