[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ana M
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  19/ABR/2005 1:51 AM
Assunto:  Re: rasgar seda

Mensagem:  Alo Breno! I was hoping someone else would tackle this one... I have only my books to go by. So, please feel free to add to my comments, anyone. Por favor, Breno, você quiser algo "polite" aqui? Eu sei de algumas "impolite" maneiras de dizer isso em inglês. Umas expressões comuns (impolite) no que se refere ao trabalho e o "boss" de alguém: Ex.: He was really sucking up to his new boss. Ex.: Man, was he kissing ass the other day at his new job. These are not polite phrases but are spoken among close friends in casual conversation. There is a word (verb), "grovel," which can be used to express this kind of "fawning" behavior, not necessarily relating to offering praise but to relate in a subservient manner to one's "superior": Ex.: The slave was groveling before his master. Here're the references I found: From "A Dictionary of Informal Brazilian Portuguese": "rasgar seda (colloq) to be overly correct, polite or formal (to one another) in social treatment, bow and scrape (to one another) Ele adora rasgar seda lá com os outros políticos que o visitam." E também: "rasga-seda" O rasga-seda (colloq) the bootlicker, apple-polisher (same as o "puxa-saco")" E para "puxa-saco, " o livro disse: "O puxa-saco (sl., often vulg)" [vulg = vulgar, i.e. impolite] "the apple-polisher, bootlicker, yes man, servile flatterer" Well, you get my drift. [Personally, I wouldn't use the hyphen between "apple" and "polisher," but would just write them as two words.] O "Michaelis" disse: "rasgar sedas" [plural] "1. to show off 2. (Braz.sl.) to indulge in mutual niceties (two persons)" Let me see if I can try to write a few sentences using polite phrasing in English: Ex.: She went overboard to please her new boss. Everyone knew she was after a promotion. Ex.: He will do anything to get his supervisor's approval. Ex.: She showered the rich donor with praise and offered to make her an honorary member of the charity. We have a fun saying: "Flattery will get you everywhere." We use this when we know someone is being especially nice to us because we know they want us to do a favor for them. In fact, maybe the last two descriptions under "puxa-saco" were most apt: "yes man" and "servile flatterer." Ex.: That guy is just a "yes man," always trying to get more than he deserves. Ex.: She was fawning over the store owner, flattering him to no end. Well, there doesn't really seem to be a very nice sentence that I can come up with using these words, but I hope this helps a little. Help me, please, someone else out there . . . :):):) Good luck to you, Breno! Ana P.S. Words in brackets [] are mine. P.S.S. Além disso, correções: Does anyone know a equivalent expresion for "rasgar seda"? [deve escrever: ... an equivalent] It means, to my understanding, to praise someone in an exaggerate way. [deve escrever: ... exagerrated way]

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
rasgar seda  –  Breno  18/ABR/2005, 4:52 PM
 Re: rasgar seda  –  Ana M  19/ABR/2005, 1:51 AM
Re: rasgar seda  –  Breno  19/ABR/2005, 6:07 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K